ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1176993
I am looking to build the UP #3300 in HO scale. My question is, does the 3300 have the 116" nose or the 123"? Cannon makes both so i will use one of those as well as a cab probably. Yes, i know Athearn makes this engine as an RTR, but i already have the decal set to make it as well as a spare SD40-2 (even though it is a Bachmann, it already has DCC and actually runs pretty well)
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1176993
I am looking to build the UP #3300 in HO scale. My question is, does the 3300 have the 116" nose or the 123"? Cannon makes both so i will use one of those as well as a cab probably. Yes, i know Athearn makes this engine as an RTR, but i already have the decal set to make it as well as a spare SD40-2 (even though it is a Bachmann, it already has DCC and actually runs pretty well)
actually this engine hasnt been made since like 95, it is comin out in latemarch 2010 for 109.99
It's a 123" nose. You can tell the difference because the longer nose comes right out to the walkway. The shorter nose leaves a small front porch between it and the walkaway.
The UP units in series 3288-3304 (inlcuding the 3300) were built in April 1975 with phase I 116 inch noses- I'm not aware of any UP units that had 123 inch noses.
I was thinking the 116". The 123 looked a bit too long. Thanks.
Rats, wrong again.

The photo angle looked like the longer nose but I should have checked my UP roster information first. Indeed, there are no original UP delivered SD40-2's with the longer nose.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)