ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
We went to Golden Coral last Sunday and had some of their scollops wrapped in bacon. They have a small wooden skewer holding them all together. I had everybody give me the skewers when they were done. They were free if you don't count the cost of the meal.
As several of you say the skewes seem to work very well so it just goes to show how simple items can easily enhance RRing and at little or No cost too! I'll have to try sanding one of the chopsticks down to a slimmer diameter.
I also agree that Switch stands or ground throws also add considerably to the operational aspect as does a wireless hand throttle, puts you right there where the action is!
See what you started Motley, way to go!
Not only do the throws add realism, but I added aspect light also. A buddy made up a bunch years ago that actually light and gave me a batch. They actually operate when I throw the power to the tortoises. The "lever" is actually thrown and the light rotates and "changes" color, from green to red.
The rivet counters still complain that it is not realistic. One rivet counter friend says that "no one has to get off the train to throw the switch". I haven't the heart to tell him that no one is aboard my trains. lol
Still some of the switches in the yard are hand thrown out of necessity. Thankfully, it does add to the realism.
Bob
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)