UK/US power converter - where to find?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Outside of the typical "go Google it" response, I wanted to ask this question because I wanted to see if someone had any particular insight about this issue (like a certain website to order from)? I would like to find one for a reasonable sum (around $50-60 or under).

I posted this on another website just to get a number of suggestions.
 


Are you looking to convert 220 to 110 - European power to US power? Are you in UK now? If so, check with American Military personnel there.

Or ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220-240-110...823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53eb2cab87

I think it needs to go the other way, I need to power up American Power to run a British train controller.

I want to be able to run this train set in my North American home:
http://www.ehattons.com/32686/Bachm...agons_with_8_pin_DCC_socket_/StockDetail.aspx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
"I posted this on another website just to get a number of suggestions."

and The answer is on the other website!!
 
The train set in question will run on any American transformer. Just go to ebay and you can get a cheap transformer for $12.00 with shipping. You don't have to use the one that comes in the set.

Bob
 
If you want to use the controller that comes with the set, you will have to have a 110v AC to 16v AC power adaptor as the controller requires 16v AC to run.
 


They say, "100 Watt Step Up and Step Down"
100 watts at 110 V = 900ma
100 watts at 240 V = 410ma

The power supply that comes with the trainset is 1000ma.
Here is an Email that I received on Enquiry.

Thank you for your email.

The GWR Local Freight Set is provided with a transformer that runs the tran on AC with a 16 V output. @ 1000ma

The set contains:

3 Wagons

Oval of track with siding (940 x 1300mm)

AC Mains wall transformer and controller

Digital DVD 'Bachmanns guide to Digital Railways'

I hope this is of help

Regards,

John Deam
Retail Assistant

Hatton's Model Railways
364-368 Smithdown Road
Liverpool
L15 5AN
0151 733 3655
http://www.ehattons.com
Shop open & phones manned Monday - Saturday 8am - 6pm Sun 10am-4pm
 
"Is that 1000ma AC demand or DC output current?"

DC output current, you cannot draw more current than the input will allow, that is, if the converter is only rated at 9000ma or 410ma you cannot draw 1000ma otherise the converter will overload and blow a fuse or worse.
 
Those ones are the right input (110V) but Not the right output, they are DC, and you want AC.
Here is one that would do the job:

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_ps_ps315.php

You should be able to pick it up cheaper at one of the the hobby shops as that price is a recommended retail price and nobody pays recommended retail prices these days.
 
Hi Far Side of the World,

Right on, That will do you nicely, and cheaper, it is exactly the same as what Bachmann supply.
 


You are better off to stick to the manafacturer's recommended power supply
as electronic components have their tollerances and while 1 volt doesn't
seem much, it may be the straw that breaks the camels back.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top