two years and finally done

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Larry,
Just getting around to seeing your pics after a week of National Guard duty. Great work! I worked in a steel mill for a summer when I was fresh out of high school and my dad worked there for 35 years. You've captured the look and feel of the dirty, rusty place that it is. Your mill is a tribute to all the hardworking people who have worked to make this a great nation. It's too bad that many of these mills are closed due to overseas competition. Good luck on getting photos in MR.
 
Larry,
Just getting around to seeing your pics after a week of National Guard duty. Great work! I worked in a steel mill for a summer when I was fresh out of high school and my dad worked there for 35 years. You've captured the look and feel of the dirty, rusty place that it is. Your mill is a tribute to all the hardworking people who have worked to make this a great nation. It's too bad that many of these mills are closed due to overseas competition. Good luck on getting photos in MR.

Thank you Jimmy ! It's so depressing to see all the old steel centers gone. I used to enjoy going to Pittsburgh... but no more. It's so plastic and sterile now. No more drama...no more excitement !

Larry
 


Thank you Jimmy ! It's so depressing to see all the old steel centers gone. I used to enjoy going to Pittsburgh... but no more. It's so plastic and sterile now. No more drama...no more excitement !

Larry

Your steel facility is absolutely incredible.

I too enjoy(ed) the old steel centers. I remember passing the Lackawanna steel works on a family camping trip as a child. It too was absolutely incredible. Twenty five years later, while visiting my sister-in-law in Buffalo, we happened to drive by the location of the old mills. I was completely stunned. It was completely gone.

Interestingly, while working on a building rehabilitation project here in Southwest Ohio, it was discovered that some steel framing that defined the original elevator shaft needed to be removed. A section of this steel was marked 'BS Lackawanna'. That section of WF8 now resides in my garage.
 
Well I'm still waiting to hear from Model Railroader mag. Maybe they look at a few pictures between naps :D

Larry, you're in good company as far as watching for the "MR pot" to boil. You've heard of Dean Freytag, a.k.a. the Man Of Steel? During the early 1990's, he had a series of articles published in MR describing how to scratch-build a coking plant. Guess how long they sat on the manuscript after he submitted it? Five years!
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Larry, you're in good company as far as watching for the "MR pot" to boil. You've heard of Dean Freytag, a.k.a. the Man Of Steel? During the early 1990's, he had a series of articles published in MR describing how to scratch-build a coking plant. Guess how long they sat on the manuscript after he submitted it? Five years!

GOOD GRIEF !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Model Railroader

Something's just not right about the way Model railroader conducts it's business. They could have,at least, sent me a form letter thanking me for my picture contribution, so I know they received it. That's called being civil....remember those days MR staff ! Oh well, maybe a long time will pass and I would have forgotten all about it when in the mail comes a letter thanking me for my contribution. :confused:

Larry
 
Just digging through some older threads and WOW, very, very nice.

But, with how things are going, you just might want to contact that certain new online magazine that will be coming out shortly. Heck, that would be very cool if you were one of the first big spreads in a new format! Just a thought....
 
...
But, with how things are going, you just might want to contact that certain new online magazine that will be coming out shortly. Heck, that would be very cool if you were one of the first big spreads in a new format! Just a thought....

Larry, I "second" what loco just suggested: Contact Model Railroad Hobbyist and show them your stuff. They're begging for articles and photos!
 
Yeah! Great idea, Loco and Ken. I'll bet RMH would love to run a spread on your work, Larry. Speaking of that, I'll bet they'd like a few of your pics too, Ken. Maybe they could have a whole steel mill issue.
 
A steel mill / foundry issue would be a great idea. Oh gezzz .. why does this keep poping up in my mind ?

" We could put on our own show !"
" Yeah, I could make the scenery and Jill can make the costumes !"
" Yeah and I can ask my dad if we can build a stage in the barn !"

Silly me.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top