ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Here is a conceptual pic of the small logging layout I am building, benchwork is in the design phase, mainly the stand which will consist of 2 small tree trunks with bark, connect with what looks like a curved saw blade made from wood, which will have larger bases on the bottom of each trunk to support the layout. Layout dimensions are 18" wide by 48" long. I do plan to make a few mods to this plan, found it on a small layout website. I plan to add some grade with switch backs into the woods side from the saw mill side. Where this layout is unloading into a river to be floated to the mill, I plan to model a saw mill in false front with the log chain going down into the pond. Motive power will be a pair of Bachmann 3 Truck Climax engines with DCC/Sound. I will probably use Kaydee logging skels, already have thier little caboose and a scratchbuilt bobber. I have a bunch of my unneeded PRR stuff up for sale to finance the constuction and to purchase another Climax. Mike
I like the idea of the themed benchwork
Cool little layout!
A switchback and run around siding would add operations.
Have you thought of adding a small HOn3 line in one area?
I plan to do something similar in On30...
Post pics when you start!
For what I would want for a narrow gauge engine, the budget just wont cover. Only good running narrow gauge logging power are brass shays and Climaxes and there really isnt much in HOn3 Climaxes that I like, the Flying Zoo version is to small, PFM only did standard gauge, dont care for the looks of the NWSL and WSM Class A Climaxes. One about the size of Bachmann's failed 2 truck model but in HOn3 would be perfect. So atleast for the time being, it will be all standard gauge. Seriously considering going lighter than code 83 rail, more like code 55 or code 70. Just have to see whats out there for turnouts that wont break the bank. Mike
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)