Turnouts won't align with crossing help!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Trainsarefun

New Member
Hello to all.

New here to this site.

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I'm trying to build my track but the #4 turnouts code 100 from Atlas don't line up with the 12.5 degree crossing.

As you can see from the picture, the crossing needs to be parallel with the track below it but I can't get it to align properly.

When I attached the #4 turnout to the 12.5 degree crossing crosses what is supposed to be a parallel line below it as you can see from the pics.

Can anyone help out here?

I'm building the Central Midland track plan from Atlas.

Richard

turn out issues.jpg
 
I'm trying to build my track but the #4 turnouts code 100 from Atlas don't line up with the 12.5 degree crossing.

When I attached the #4 turnout to the 12.5 degree crossing crosses what is supposed to be a parallel line below it as you can see from the pics.
View attachment 219173
I don't think that is a Custom Line Mark IV #4 turnout. I think that is a "Snap Switch". Check the back. Should be printed in the plastic.
 


My friend you are in fact correct. The part I have does not say it's a custom line. There's a difference between them?
The "snap switch" is a very short turnout made to fit into an 18" radius curve. It has curved departure rails that, as I recall, end up being 20 degrees. The Custom Line #4s are a true US prototype numbered turnout, so the departure angle is more like the 12.5 degree, as the crossing you have there.

As a kid I can't count how many times I got them mixed and just let there be kinks and gaps in the rails to make them fit.
 
The "snap switch" is a very short turnout made to fit into an 18" radius curve. It has curved departure rails that, as I recall, end up being 20 degrees. The Custom Line #4s are a true US prototype numbered turnout, so the departure angle is more like the 12.5 degree, as the crossing you have there.

As a kid I can't count how many times I got them mixed and just let there be kinks and gaps in the rails to make them fit.
Thank you so much for the advice.

I really do appreciate it.

Richard
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top