Turnouts & Polarity Question

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


richmondrocky

New Member
Sorry if this is a repeat question. I am trying to come up with some ideas to make my layout better.

If I add turnouts between two tracks, will there be any issue with the polarity etc. If I am running train on Track A, I should be able to change it to run on Track B. Any suggestions, do's or dont's .

Thanks for all your help !

Rocky
 
Hi Rocky,
The example you ask/give is correct about being able to switch from track 'A' to 'B' as long as both sets of rail are wired the same. By that I mean that both outside rails are positive and the inside rails are negative or just the reverse but both sets of rails need to keep the same polarity.

Basically any continueous loop of track or even one that loops over itself and again ties back into the other end of the beginning to form one continuous run.

Where you'll encounter a poliarity problems, although correctable/controlable, is if you form a loop with a single line and connect it back into itself again via a switch as this is what is refered to as a reverse loop as it allows the train to reverse direction and come back on the same trackage but also reverses polarity but a simple double pole/double throw toggle switch with cross wiring can solve the problem or Atlas also has a controller set u to do this for you too. This is also needed when using a turntable.

Hope I've helped to answer your question?
 
Thank you for the explanation ! I was reading about DCC (Digitrax AR1) to use for reverse loop. After some more reasearch, I may use it.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top