Turnouts for Union Station

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


spever

New Member
I am laying track for a six track deadend/stub yard similar to the one in Los Angeles. I plan on using number 6 turnouts and want to keep wiring to a minimum. Is there a company that makes a turnout that is powered by the direction of the points so it keeps wiring to a minimum? As of now this is a. DC powered layout
 
Built in power switch, essentially. So that if the turnout is set to the left track, the track on the left has power and the track on the right does not. If the turnout is set to the right track the right track has power and the left track does not.

The club I'm a member of uses this method in the yards, but it's not integrated into the turnouts. It's all external wiring and control boards. Likely the track systems with built in roadbed would support this kind of operation but I don't have any personal experience.
 


I'm with Rico on this-Peco switches are what you're looking for, in the blue & white package, (Insulfrog), not the Electrofrog, as I recall, but could be wrong.
 
You could run the DC track power to a relay which would trigger your AC switch motors when you change direction of the track power or direction. Personally I would worry about it burning out though.
 
Peco Insulfrogs are power routing and for DC and DCC. I have 24 of them on my layout, they work flawlessly.

Although, I have feeders on each straight and diverging route, so I can run locomotives even when a switch is thrown the other way, in my yard.
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top