Turnouts and nail polish?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


pmwtrain

Member
My system shorts when my loco goes through the frog
of my new turnout at slow speeds but works fine at
faster speeds.

I suspect the wheel is contacting rails of opposing
polarity. My guess is that the the loco's wheels are
not out of gauge because it works fine through all
other turnouts.

I plan to use nail polish to insulate those rails but
havent done this before. How should I apply it to
best keep it off the top of the rails? Carefully,
right? :rolleyes: What does one use to apply it and am i
right to assume I should only apply it to the sides
of the rails?

Is is there a better solution to the problem?

thanks, all
 


Look really closely at the offending frog and try to see exactly where the loco wheel is contacting the rail causing the short...use a fine brush and apply the polish at that spot, top and side of the rail...its pretty easy and simple to do.
 
Thanks, Genetk. My trouble shooting seems to show it only happens when it passes through the end of the frog farthest from the points on the "straight route".

I'll paint it today and let it dry. I'll post tomorrow to let you know how I made out.

Thanks for for your help.
 
Atlas #4 with insulated frog.
I'm puzzled. I can't think I've ever had a shorting problem with an Atlas. That is more a Peco or Walthers sort of issue. Is this one of the "snap switch" type? Most of the time when I think of Atlas I think of kind with big metal dead frogs (custom line). Even more interesting that it is happening on the straight rather then diverging route.
 
I'm new to this but the dcc system turns off and on again until I remove the loco. Then it stays on.

I'm not aware of anything else but a short that this indicates but again, I'm new to this and electrical is not my thing.

It it is a snap switch but the frog is plastic. My other turnouts are Atlas also but no problems.

Im interested to know of another possible problem if you suspect one

thanks
 
If the frog is plastic, it is already insulated from the power in the rails. I think you need to look elsewhere for a short in the switch. Also make sure you are not making a reverse loop with your track. If you are, there are ways of fixing that.
Joe
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Joe. I haven't got around to applying the nail polish yet so I can't say whether or not
that was the problem.

I do know there is no reverse loop. I just got home from buying the nail polish. I will let you know
how that worked. By the way, anyone know how long it takes nail polish to dry?
 
I held off on the nail polish and applied scotch tape at the point
which rails of opposite polarity almost touch (saw this idea online).

Not it a permanent fix, of course, but have not had any shorts since.

Now, best way to address the problem...nail polish that will wear off
and need to be re-applied or something more permanent?

i would love to hear your input.

Thanks
 


I put a very small piece of tape overlapping the frog and where the closure rails almost come into contact with one another adjacent to frog. I suspect a metal wheel was touching both the positive and negative closure rail.
 
I put a very small piece of tape overlapping the frog and where the closure rails almost come into contact with one another adjacent to frog. I suspect a metal wheel was touching both the positive and negative closure rail.
Ok, I understand. That is the place where Peco insulfrog turnouts have an issue. Yes, fingernail polish works great because it is so much harder and longer lasting than normal paint. Yes, it will eventually wear off but easy enough to re-apply. I use clear.
 
Thanks,guys. I applied nail polish last night and will try it when I get home today.

When It wears off or if it doesn't work I'll see about the permanent fix.

Thanks for for all the help
 
You know...the nail polish will wear off over time but it is pretty painless and simple to apply so not a big deal, especially if you already have the polish and know exactly were the problem area is.
 
That's true, Gene. I'll look into seeing what is involved with the permanent fix. I paid only $2 for the nail polish and it should last a while.
 
Our club had the same problem with Peco switches when we installed them over 30 years ago. I painted the offending rails with a very small bit of clear nail polish and it lasted about 20 years before I had to do a touch up on a few of the switches. Just make sure it is thoroughly dry before you run over it with a train.
 
Our club had the same problem with Peco switches when we installed them over 30 years ago. I painted the offending rails with a very small bit of clear nail polish and it lasted about 20 years before I had to do a touch up on a few of the switches. Just make sure it is thoroughly dry before you run over it with a train.
Our club layout was razed before we had to retouch them. Even as it was that was at least 5 years. 30 is just straight up impressive.
 


Peco turnouts

I have a large number of Peco turnouts that I want to use on my next layout. Some are insulated, some not.

I want to use DCC, so I figured I was going to have to 'rewire' some of those turnouts. But I understand this can be a real pain in the you know what. Is it possible I could just utilize this 'nail polish' solution on the offending turnouts??
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top