Turnout question

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


flyboy34

New Member
With the many options available for benchwork, ie plywood, plywood & homasote, plywood & foam board, my question is how do you mount a Tortoise switch machine if you utilize foam board only.
 
The tortoise needs a solid mount to insure trouble free operation. Depending on the thickness of the foam, you may have to carve out a hole to mount it in. What I would do at that point is to use some liquid nails, or similar glue to mount a small square of wood into the foam. Then you could mount the tortoise to the wood. Be sure to drill all holes needed after the glue has dried, so you won't knock it out of position.
 
I had the same problem, mainly with the thickness of the foam and the limitations of the wire from the tortoise machine to extend through more than an inch of material. I am assuming that you are considering placing the foam on plywood first. If that is the case you can buy this little item that allows you to use the tortoise machine through a much thicker material:

http://www.circuitron.com/index_files/Tortoise.htm
 


I had the same problem, mainly with the thickness of the foam and the limitations of the wire from the tortoise machine to extend through more than an inch of material. I am assuming that you are considering placing the foam on plywood first. If that is the case you can buy this little item that allows you to use the tortoise machine through a much thicker material:

http://www.circuitron.com/index_files/Tortoise.htm

You are correct the thickness of the foam may create some issues. I chose 2" thick foam but have no intention of utilizing plywood under the foam. I am attaching the foam to my benchwork. I saw one video where a guy cut a pocket into his foa( from the top) and mounted his tortoise machine on its side.) Unfortunately I cant find the thread, video, or whatever to communicate with the guy to learn more.

I appreciate the input and welcome more suggestions to my dilemna.
 
I thought I replied, but it is not showing up. I am utilizing 2" foam with NO plywood underlayment. The foam will be glued directly to my benchwork. I read, saw a video, etc. where a guy cut a pocket on the top of the foam and layed in his tortoise on its side and somehow was able to utilize that method. I have not been able to find the thread, video or whatever and wondered if anyone on this site may have experience with that type of installation.

Thanks for the comments and look forward to more suggestions.

Bill
 
I can't say that I've seen that but I can see how it could be done. Mount the machine in such a way that the lever the wire is mounted in/on moves parallel to the surface of the foam, and then put a 90` bend in it similar to the bend in the actuator of the old Atlas under mount switch machines, and have this bend close to the fulcrum. The fulcrum built into the tortoise will still provide the throw needed to move the points, although you may need a stiffer wire.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You Tube, look up "installing Tortoise switch machines". A whole bunch of differant applications.
Wayne
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top