Tru-Color Paint and Decals

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Klankster

New Member
I've been wondering this for a while and wonder if someone here has some insights on it...

I've been using Tru-Color Railroad Colors for a number of projects, applied with airbrush, and love the paint. Easy to use and airbrushes nicely as long as it's properly thinned. Supposedly the glossy surface should take decals really well, but one thing that is puzzling is that when I try to apply some water or Decal Set to the paint prior to applying decals, the water or solution just beads up and doesn't really wet the area like I think the decal manufacturer wants.

Is there another step I should be using here that will alter the surface to make it accept details better? Thanks!
 
I've been wondering this for a while and wonder if someone here has some insights on it...

I've been using Tru-Color Railroad Colors for a number of projects, applied with airbrush, and love the paint. Easy to use and airbrushes nicely as long as it's properly thinned. Supposedly the glossy surface should take decals really well, but one thing that is puzzling is that when I try to apply some water or Decal Set to the paint prior to applying decals, the water or solution just beads up and doesn't really wet the area like I think the decal manufacturer wants.

Is there another step I should be using here that will alter the surface to make it accept details better? Thanks!
I don’t have a problem applying decals on Tru- colour paint, but I don't thin it, one of our painting guru's will be along shortly, I'm sure they'll know the answer.
 
Not a guru, but you can find Tru Color's recommended decal application method here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-8034-3c1f68a418d6_1024x1024.png?v=1666145268

An oft used water surfactant..."thinner"...is dish soap, but it can result in tiny bubbles, and those are what you don't want under decals. Bubbles can can give decals that silvery appearance. I think I would avoid soap without trying it on some throw-away decals first.

One other classic surfactant is Kodak's Photoflo: https://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Photo-Flo-200-Solution-16oz/dp/B00K335F6S/ref=sr_1_2?crid=37VKP8HO90QLZ&keywords=kodak+photoflo&qid=1705562380&sprefix=Kodak+Photoflo,aps,113&sr=8-2&th=1

16 oz. is probably a lifetime size unless you leave the cap off. You might find a smaller size bottle.
It's specifically formulated to prevent photo print streaking, which tells me it thins the water out really well and would be a good candidate for decal use.

My last thought would be: Use distilled water--cheap--and often available in plastic gallon jugs at your local grocery store. Just to make sure there aren't any hard-water minerals which might also be causing your problems.

Hope some of it helps, and good luck
 


Not a guru, but you can find Tru Color's recommended decal application method here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-8034-3c1f68a418d6_1024x1024.png?v=1666145268

An oft used water surfactant..."thinner"...is dish soap, but it can result in tiny bubbles, and those are what you don't want under decals. Bubbles can can give decals that silvery appearance. I think I would avoid soap without trying it on some throw-away decals first.

One other classic surfactant is Kodak's Photoflo: https://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Photo-Flo-200-Solution-16oz/dp/B00K335F6S/ref=sr_1_2?crid=37VKP8HO90QLZ&keywords=kodak+photoflo&qid=1705562380&sprefix=Kodak+Photoflo,aps,113&sr=8-2&th=1

16 oz. is probably a lifetime size unless you leave the cap off. You might find a smaller size bottle.
It's specifically formulated to prevent photo print streaking, which tells me it thins the water out really well and would be a good candidate for decal use.

My last thought would be: Use distilled water--cheap--and often available in plastic gallon jugs at your local grocery store. Just to make sure there aren't any hard-water minerals which might also be causing your problems.

Hope some of it helps, and good luck
Thanks @Snowman , I might try those ideas as well
 
Is there a UK stockist for Tru-Color paint by any chance? Importing from a US retailers is out of the question both on cost grounds and the fact the Royal Mail point blank refuse to handle any form of liquids anymore.
 
I never gave it a thought when it beaded up. i do also put micro sol on in that manner, apply decal and let dry. before putting the setting solution on.
 
I just brush on teh seoltion and if it beads up I don't worry about it. The decal will spread it out, and when you apply the decal brush on more over top of teh decal. The solution will wick under the decal. Of course, you could use alcohol as well as photo flo
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top