Train Parts Mini Storage

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
What do you use for Mini Storage for all your parts? Here's a few shots of what I use. :D
Most of mine came from Dollar Tree. The oblong bowl is Gourmet dog food that a friend brings me when I ask. I use these for parts & paint storage. The lids I use for mixing paints together like a pallet. I also have 35 clear plastic shoe boxes for larger parts & they are so full the lids won't fit. I also have a set of plastic drawers that I bought at WM years ago for parts.
Now, lets see what you got.:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just getting started in the hobby, so my needs are pretty low right now but I thought I'd share the first storage device I'm using. So far, not much in it but it is a great device.

http://www.belamny.com/RolyKit.html

The picture isn't great on that website but basically, this container rolls out, revealing many storage trays of varying sizes. It's easy to find things and you can carry it around and not worry about spilling anything.

The only negative I've found is it always seems what I'm looking for is in the last compartment, so I have to roll it out all the way.

I've had this thing for over 15 years. It looks like they are discontinuing them. I might pick up another 1 or 2. I remember paying about $30 for it way back when.
 


No small containers for me. My loco and rolling stocks parts are kept in several large (copy paper) boxes. I have parts and pieces for several dozen locos of different makes and rolling stock parts of all kinds from many manufacturers dating from the present back to the 70's. Some day I may get around to sorting it all to smaller containers.
 
Here's my storage in the train room.

I found this small tool chest on sale at Lowes. I really link it.

storage1.jpg


storage2.jpg


Over at the workbench, I have two sets of small drawers mounted on the wall, plus a pegboard to hold tools and wire.

workbench1.jpg


workbench2.jpg


Hmmm-mm-m ... looks like some clean-up is in order!

- Jeff
 
Some nice storage area's. I also have a roll-a-way tool box in my trainroom full of tools for the layout. I bought a dented one at WM for ten bucks & knocked out the dent w/my fist. It was a double stack.
I never realized I had so much stuff until I put it all in one place. Seperating it into smaller containers really takes up more space, but, It's a lot easier to find than digging thru larger boxes. I have almost taken over my wife's storage area for fabrics for her quilts.
 
Tool Box Storage...

Guess we can all use a little more storage............I model in ho but just could'nt resist the top slide out for something a little fun....still moving things around so that this will fit
 
Guess we can all use a little more storage............I model in ho but just could'nt resist the top slide out for something a little fun....still moving things around so that this will fit

Heck w/HO in that Drawer, just think what a big layout you could have in N scale. Anyway, neat idea. make it hard for working on track & scenery.:D
 
Larry, I can't help noticing that you have a bin labeled "People-- No Arms/Heads." Care to elaborate?

I like the tool box layout idea. For bonus points, wire it to start up when someone opens the drawer. :)
 
Larry, I can't help noticing that you have a bin labeled "People-- No Arms/Heads." Care to elaborate?

I bought a bunch of Preiser unpainted figures last year & there was a whole sprue of people w/either no arms or heads. Then on the other side of the sprue was all of the body parts. You can position the parts whichever way you want. Arms forward, heads turned, etc. I figured someone would notice that right away.:)
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top