Track planning question

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


pmwtrain

Member
Hi, folks. If the username is unfamiliar that's because I just signed
up days ago. I am a beginner and am asking for some help with my
track plan.

I would like like a double track mainline. I plan to use 24" and 22"
radii. I also want #6 turnouts to accommodate bigger locomotives
(just in case ;)). My question is:

is it typical to cut off a small portion of the diverging track on both
#6 turnouts of a crossover to maintain 2" track center or do I have
to go with #4?

Thanks in advance for the help
 
I would like like a double track mainline. I plan to use 24" and 22"
radii. I also want #6 turnouts to accommodate bigger locomotives (just in case ;)).

My question is:
is it typical to cut off a small portion of the diverging track on both #6 turnouts of a crossover to maintain 2" track center or do I have to go with #4?
The short answer is yes. Turnouts are often cut to make the centers be where one wants them.

The long answer is two fold. First is that it depends on the brand of turnout you are using. Modern Atlas brand Custom Line track #6 turnouts will make exactly 2" centers if connected directly to one another. What brand of track are you using? Some brands of track "trim" better than others.

Second is that if there is equipment that is big enough to require #6 turnouts, a 2" track center on that tight of a curve might be a bit to close and there might be side swiping issues. The longer the equipment the greater this chance is.

Finally over all, if the brand of turnouts you are using are true #4s I would not recommend using them. Several companies make a #5 that is the best compromise between size and tightness.
 


Toot makes a good point about using flex track. I personally would never ever use sectional track again. Back in the 70's I was introduced to flex track when I was building a small N scale layout and never touched sectional track again. You can easily adjust flex track as mentioned to avoid the side swiping issue mentioned above. You will also have fewer joints in the track plus you can easily cut a section of flex track to fit if you need short pieces, like a 1 or 2 inch piece to keep tracks properly aligned.

I started my layout by hand laying code 70 track and turnouts and years later when I was completing the track work, was using Shinohara turnouts and flex track. I went to Shinohara because at the time they were the only company offering a good selection of code 70 track. Now there are a number of companies offering excellent nickle silver flex track and turnouts.
 
I think your nested radii are too close. You have two inches on centres, and that is much too close for radii under about 36". If you are running small switchers and 40' boxcars you might be okay, but if you intend to run larger diesels and more modern cars, especially long passenger cars, or if you run larger steamers, I think you'll need closer to 2.5" separation, and maybe even another 1/4" over that. Whatever it turns out to be, my suggestion is to mock up those curves and see what you can pass by another train without sideswiping.
 
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I went with sectional curve tracks
because it seemed easier than accurately curving flex track.
however, I have seen some stuff on YouTube on flex track
and I'm not so intimidated now. Perhaps I'll switch.

It it is not a big layout (about 71 sq. ft) so I don't plan to
run a lot of big rolling stock. I am trying to configure the
mainlines so I haven't precluded the possibility of a larger
loco (be it a future purchase or a friend's).

Thanks again for for all the suggestions and if anyone else
wants to weigh in I'd be interested to hear more.
 
Hey, Chet. I just checked out your video
of switching on your layout. I'm a big
fan of switching and I love what you've
done. That kind of thing inspires me to
see what this newbie can do :D
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top