Is a 1x3 too skinny for a single mainline track
Ohh crap I forgot to put in the little " mark, Yea I meant a 1"x3". However I might go with a 1"x6" instead.1 x 3 inches, feet or meters?? You could run a single main line track, HO or smaller, down a 1" x 3" board laid flat. Did that for a display.
Armchair armchairmodeling.blogspot.com
Thanks for the insight about being tipsy.Hi Icicle,
You can certainly run a single track dow a 3" width but, unless your cramped for space I would suggest at least a 1x4" board or even a 1x6" board to give more stability from being tipped over sideways. Also a little wider board will allow you to put a bit of a curve to the track so your not always viewing the train flat from the side as well as allowing for a bit of scenery too.
Too late, I'm already trying to find a way with expanding into all my rooms, however I'm afraid I would need over 200' of track.Don't listen to them, icicle! 1x3 is plenty. These guys will have you tearing out walls in your house to expand the layout before you know it!
;D
My table was a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4 inch plywood.Why not? My layout started from a 3x5 table and now takes up most of an 8x13 room that also contains a postage stamp kitchen and the front door.
HO track, so I just leave the board 3/32" off the wallDepends. Is this a 1"X3" nominal board? What scale track?
For HO, NMRA Standard S-7 suggests that you need at least 1 1/32" from the wall to the track centerline.
Since a nominal 1"X3" is actually only 2 1/2" wide, that leaves you less than an inch-and-a-half from the centerline of the track to the great abyss.
That's too narrow for my liking, but if you ran a vertical guard along the length of the board, you might be OK.
More information would help others help you.
