Track Design

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


JoeG

New to N scale
I wanted some feed back on what you thought of my layouts. I dont have alot of room at all so I went with a N scale and a 50'' x 50'' platform.

The first one is my most basic but it give me some switching and different options when it comes to making an industrial section and a residential section.

The second one Tiny Vill I is more complex. I put the larger loop on the bottom witch I was tinking will be my industrail area, and the smaller loop on the left will be 2'' to 3'' higher up on a moutain where all my people will live.

I would like your feed back good and bad

thank you
 
Depends on what you like. If it fits, it looks like it will work for what you want to do. You can run trains without having to watch them constantly and yet still get some switching in also. If you are happy with it, build it. If you think something is missing, play around in your layout designer. That is what I do. I play until I am happy/ Just make sure you back up your originals so if you do something you don't like, you don't have to start all over. You really can't go wrong. Another tip, make sure you largest engine can fit around the tightest radius you plan to have. I ran into that on a layout. One of my engines must just stay on the rail yard because it will not take the curves.

Have Fun
 
Joe, what is that disconnected section of track in the middle of the second plan? I'm not clear on the grades either. How much run do you have to climb the 2 or 3 inches? On a 50" long table, it's going to be tough to keep your grade below 3%, which is pretty steep. The first plan makes no sense at all to me. It's just two small loops with two connections and one spur. This is the kind of layout that would get really boring to run after about a week.
 


The diconnected track is a trolly that I want to put in the town center. There will also be no climb the larger track will be on the bottom, and the smaller track will be 3'' higher on top of a hill.
 
You've lost me on the larger and smaller track concept. Will any of the track climb from zero elevation to 3" above zero elevation? Or do you mean the trolley track will be 3" higher?
 
The only thing I don't like is the layout is directional. There is no way, that I see anyway, to have the trains actually change direction. I guess that eliminates pasture meets though. No chance at all for a head-on.

Gomez and Uncle Fester sure wouldn't like it.

Bob
 
I see what your saying about changing direction, so now im in the process of changing my track around so i can go in multiple directions
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top