Track Cleaning

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


haplo777

New Member
I have seen several posts asking about cleaning track. I found something that worked really well for me.

I woke up this morning and thought to myself that I should change my layout. To make it work I had to pull out some 30+ year old track to at least make sure it would work in the space I had. Of course track that was not used in that amount of time did not run smooth.

I pulled out my Dremel tool, put the polishing wheel on it. After about 15 minutes the track was working as good as the new track I purchased a year ago. I have not seen this suggested so thought I would put it out there that I had a good experience with using this method to bring back some old track.
 
Anything not highly abrasive should work well. Some people would call your method slow and labour intensive, but the method called 'gleaming' is at least as slow and intensive. Both should yield good results when they are done (if done well), although the anecdotal evidence is that gleaming lasts years afterward.

Your method should work, not be abrasive, and contribute to the longevity of the rails as well. Good thinking.
 
I have Bachmann ez track stored for YEARS and it wouldn't work .. I sanded it down with sandpaper and used it .. But now that I have bought ALL NEW code 100 track for my new layout.......no problems at all :)
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top