ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hi, I am planning on building my first layout and was wondering about what kind of track I should use. I have a little bit of Bachmann E-Z Track but not enough for what I want to do. Should I get more E-Z Track?
I have also heard of Atlas Track. Is Atlas a better choice and would I have to wire Atlas track?
I would stay away from Bachmann Ez Track, the Kato Uni-Track, and any other track that has molded on Trackbed if you want the most realistic look. If your looking for something to just setup quickly and take apart with ease, then yes, Bachmann Ez Track will do.
But you will have far more opportunities to create less boring trackplans by using Atlas, Walthers, Peco, or Micro Engineering Track, not to mention they are much more realistic looking then the Bachmann Ez Track.
And BTW Flyboy, Bachmann has far less of a track selection then Atlas does... All Bachmann has is curved sections, turnouts, and straights where as Atlas has different code rail, flex-track, different sized turnouts and crossings, as well as the snap track which is basically the same as the Bachmann Ez Track without the molded on trackbed
Hi, I am planning on building my first layout and was wondering about what kind of track I should use. I have a little bit of Bachmann E-Z Track but not enough for what I want to do. Should I get more E-Z Track?
I have also heard of Atlas Track. Is Atlas a better choice and would I have to wire Atlas track?
I'm in the same layout planning situation as you are, and went with Atlas Nickel Silver Code 83 track. I'm going to use a combination of sectional track and 36 inch long flex track.
You are going to have to wire any track regardless of what it is (whether it be Bachmann or Atlas) if your going to have a larger layout. Simply plugging in a transformer would not work unless all you are going to have is an oval or something very simply like that.
Wiring is really not that difficult, i just started doing it myself. It requires the main power source (the bus wire) and the feeder wires which get soldered to the rail sides every 4' or so. These feeder wires branch off the bus line (which is under the layout's base) and run up through the layout base to the sides of the rails which then need to be soldered in place. Hook your bus up to your power source and your pretty much done unless you have any sections that require special wiring such as reverse loops...