ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I was running my T-55 ES-44DC the other day with my Intermountain version to see if they are compatable. They started good but after a couple of loops around the layout I was using the T-55 just stopped. The lights would work, but nothing else. Any ideas or same thing?
It just stopped running and infact almost became a dead weight. I am wondering if Intermoutain could not make some replacement chassises for the T-55 shells? The drives run similar.
Before I panic, I'd remove the decoder and apply voltage to the motor to see if it runs. If it does, you know the problem is upstream of the motor, like the decoder or board. If the motor doesn't run, does it act like it wants to? Does the motor make noise, or get warm? That may be a gear somewhere in a truck.
The unit I have is non-DCC equipped. The unit and the intermoutain were running about the same sound wise, the only problem was on the uphill grade
was that the 2 locomotives started slowing down and the only one left running was the Intermoutain unit.
Check the gears. The Tower 55 locos have a small (helical IIRC) gear that tends to crack and seperate from its shaft under stress. Since T55 no longer exists, and Overland uses a different gear, it's quite hard to find. (Someone sent one to NWSL to see if they could make one, but NWSL said that theres no market for such a gear and said no)
My thought is more interesting. My thought is getting Intermountain to replace as a seperate piece the entire chassis. The Intermountain unit I believe is an improved model of the T55 version. I feel that it would give Intermountain more credibility.
That wouldn't be very cost-effective for Intermountain though.
Intermountain tooled their from the ground up, not based from the T55 version.
I don't think theres enough of a market to justify Intermountain tooling up a new chassis for the T55 shell. I don't think that theres even that many T55 GEVOs left out there anyway.
That wouldn't be very cost-effective for Intermountain though.
Intermountain tooled their from the ground up, not based from the T55 version.
I don't think theres enough of a market to justify Intermountain tooling up a new chassis for the T55 shell. I don't think that theres even that many T55 GEVOs left out there anyway.
I had a chance to look at both units and their chassises. I believe that Intermountain got the dies from Overland/T-55. and the chassises are quite similar. I am just offering an observation of rather than let these ES-44ac/dc shells sit and gather dust, get an improved running chassis underthem and let the T-55 chassis sit and collect dust.
Yes, Athearn has them, but I don't know if Athearn picked up the GEVO tooling. If they did, they're in a tough position since the Intermountain model is very good, and unless they make them out of solid gold, I don't think Athearn (or anyone else for that matter) can do better.
Athearn's already taking a gamble by making the Genesis GP7s and GP9s with fixed Front Range tooling (by fixed, I mean they're fixing the dimensional errors). Everyone and their grandmother has made a GP7/9 so far. Athearn seems to be appealing to modelers by announcing that they will also offer rebuilt versions of the GP7/9s.
Intermountain has officially said somewhere (I don't remember where) that the GEVOs were to be tooled from the ground up and that Intermountain did not buy someone else's tooling for the loco. This announcement came after there was the popular rumor going around that Athearn sold the T55 tooling to Intermountain.
Athearn's already taking a gamble by making the Genesis GP7s and GP9s with fixed Front Range tooling (by fixed, I mean they're fixing the dimensional errors). Everyone and their grandmother has made a GP7/9 so far. Athearn seems to be appealing to modelers by announcing that they will also offer rebuilt versions of the GP7/9s.
You could be right, but I think there is always a market for high-quality 1st generation diesels, particularly EMD units. There really isn't anything readily available right now, so I have two of the Athearn Black Widow units on order. Granted, the Geeps have been done countless times, but so many of them had serious weaknesses, either in mechanics, or fidelity to the prototype .
I think you're right. Theres a market opening up since Walthers didn't re-run the P2K GP7/9s and is instead pumping out run after run of the Trainline junk.
I contacted Horizon Hobbies Via E-mail and this is what they sent me.
[FONT="]Hello Carey,[/FONT]
[FONT="]Here is press release regarding the acquisition of the T55 dies: [/FONT]http://www.texasloco.com/pages/Tower%2055.html[FONT="] . I am not sure of the time frame this happened.[/FONT]
[FONT="]Athern is currently in their third run of SD70ACe models. There has been no announcement of any ES44 runs at this time.[/FONT]
[FONT="]I hope this helps some. Please let us know if we can assist you with this any further, or if you have any other questions.[/FONT]
[FONT="]From:[/FONT][FONT="] [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:18 AM To: Horizon Search Subject: Search Feedback for announcements[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Late this week, the sale of the GE Evolution Series and EMD SD70ACe tooling to Athearn® Trains was finalized. T55 Products enjoyed its short time in the plastic model train market and decided it was time to sell its tools to a proven leader like Athearn. A copy of their press release is listed below.
We felt with Athearn's expertise in the plastics industry and our dedication to detail, the time was right to roll the T55 diesel projects forward within the Athearn network. We truly hope that you can appreciate our decision to sell and also understand that this acquisition has been in the works for quite some time but could not be disclosed until the sale was completed. We truly appreciate all of our customers' support and business since the launching of T55 and will deeply miss that portion of our business.
If you have any orders for T55 models, they will not be transferred to Athearn. We will be happy to provide you with a backorder list so that you can compare your orders to the models Athearn will be announcing and place any new orders with your Athearn distributor. Also, if you currently have a deposit on record for any T55 models, those deposits will be refunded to you next week.
Now that the T55 transaction is completed, we can better focus on our brass model train business known as Overland Models. We've been delivering fine brass scale models since 1976, with plans to deliver even finer models in the future.
We are pleased to turn over our baby to Athearn and are excited to get back to our brass roots. We truly appreciate your business and support.
Sincerely
Brian and Missy Marsh
"Athearn® Trains is excited to announce we have purchased select tooling from T55 Products, the plastic division of Overland Models. T55 is one of the model railroading industry's leading producers of high-quality injection-molded models. Using T55's outstanding tooling, Genesis will soon be producing a run of General Electric GEVO (ES44AC and ES44DC) models, as well as EMD SD70ACe and SD70M-2 models.
These prototypes are the most current locomotives from North America's primary builders, and are found in the fleets of Union Pacific (including the Heritage Fleet and Bush Presidential Library and Museum), BNSF, CIT Leasing, CSX, Canadian National, Canadian Pacific, EMD Demonstrators, Ferromex, Florida East Coast, GE Demonstrators, Kansas City Southern, Montana Rail Link and Norfolk Southern.
Just as these locomotives are the backbone of today's Class One and Regional railroads, they will also be an important addition to Athearn's Genesis® series of top-of-the-line HO models. Locomotives, in keeping with Genesis standards, will be offered with and without sound. They will also feature directional lighting; operating ditch lights; separately applied, etched metal details; and the same attention to detail you expect from Genesis.
As Genesis announces each new run, please contact your local train store to place your new order. Release dates, pricing and specific product information will be announced in future editions of Athearn News and online at Athearn.com." [/FONT]
There may never be an Athearn version of the GEVO. The Intermountain model is a solid model, and I don't think there's much if anything to improve upon. I wonder how much Athearn paid for the tooling that they'll never use