Tortoise mounting question

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


ianacole

Well-Known Member
In the instructions for mounting the tortoise switch machines and hooking them up to the turnouts, it references using the included wire for layouts up to 1" thick, and drilling a hole 1/4" in diameter. Since I will have 2" of foam, 1/4" of table surface, and 5mm of foam, I need to supply my own wire, no problem there. My question is about the size of the hole I need to drill. Will a 1/4" hole still be sufficient for the amount of throw needed, or do I need to increase the size?
 
A 1/4" hole should still be OK, but you'll have to do your own test once it's drilled. If you don't have enough clearance for throws, just drill a slightly larger hole. It's easy to drill one larger, but tough to make a large one smaller. :)
 


I would also go with a thicker gauge throw wire. You can buy thicker piano wire at your local hobby shop. a thicker wire won't have as much bend for the length of it.

Richard looking at MP 242 while working for the FEC Rwy.
 
I would also go with a thicker gauge throw wire. You can buy thicker piano wire at your local hobby shop. a thicker wire won't have as much bend for the length of it.

Richard looking at MP 242 while working for the FEC Rwy.

I Agree with the thicker wire. The torti comes with .025 wire. moving to .039 will work much better. You'll have to make the hole a little larger in the torti to take the larger wire as well.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top