tooters scooters...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


After a year of digging the new basement is finally ready to put up a train board... :)

[YOUTUBE]v_v-lQNsOoA[/YOUTUBE]

(the sound doesn't work on my camera... )

I'll be installing better lighting, and permanent bracing. This turns a new page, as up until now all I've been able to do is collect trains and build kits.

Greg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
"After a year of digging..."

Well if you hadn't used those little tooter ore cars to haul out the soil, you'd have finished much sooner! :D
 


^ LOL sounds like me cleaning something. :D

You're going to have a lot of kitbashing on your hands, cutting down all the buildings and bridges and stuff to tooter size. ;)
 
^ LOL sounds like me cleaning something. :D

You're going to have a lot of kitbashing on your hands, cutting down all the buildings and bridges and stuff to tooter size. ;)

I've been collecting small buildings which should go well with the tooters. ;)

Here's a video of all the cars that were kitbashed into shortys...

[YOUTUBE]nBBTFwfYneg[/YOUTUBE]
 
One good thing about "tooter" sized cars.....they can negotiate tight radius turns.
-Art

Hi Art, :)

Yes... that's exactly my intention.
I'm planning a micro layout with small curves, so everything I have easily negotiates a 10 inch radius. Curve radius is a major determiner of a layout's size, and I aim to go really small. ;)

Greg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I am forced to make a ceiling shelf in order for my 85' NJ transit cars and my double stack container cars can't easily negotiate the turns on my 4x8' layout.
-Art
 


Hey art, :)

Have you seen this website yet?

Micro/Small Layouts

It's been my small layout inspiration. I've spent countless hours poring over the thousands of clever small layout ideas and techniques from all over the world.

If you do a switching layout, don't forget that you also have the option of building UP... ;)

alexk1.jpg


ignacio2.jpg


A clever switchback allows you to add a second level and an overpass for even more interest.

Greg
 
Nah, I'm not skilled enough... and already have way too many irons in the fire. ;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Really pushed the envelope this time trying to see the smallest radius curve I could prebend into Atlas flex track to convert it into a piece of Snap Track... :rolleyes:

66d550c1.jpg


The absolute radius limit is 6 inches without popping the retainers off the ties.

Greg
 
I don't have the skills for handlaying track, so I'm compensating by creating small radius Snap Track. This allows me to experiment with layout designs by actually building them, yet without the need to pin anything down.

I tried the Mantua Goat 0-6-0 centercab switcher and it goes right around the 6 incher because the center drive wheels don't have any flanges. While the corner of the tender comes close to touching the engine, nothing binds. Just made a short video of the Goat...

[youtube]cCeMk_9iSzU[/youtube]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a couple more scooter videos.

The boom hasn't been assembled on the crane yet. It's just a test run of the powered unit...

[YOUTUBE]b8aqoFOv2XQ[/YOUTUBE]

Hauling log buggies...

[YOUTUBE]gL65RrtjLd4[/YOUTUBE]
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top