thoughts on how to spend 300 dollars.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


OMG! Thanks to this thread, I just found out they are offering these GP60s roadnames with D&RGW.
Those were the last locomotives the D&RGW purchased, were they even delivered before they purchased the SP?

At first I was hoping they would make Santa Fe super fleet units, especially the "B" units. The I thought about it because , Walther's isn't known for getting the Santa Fe red color. Look at the crappy color they used on the F units for the El Capitan. I got stuck with 5 of those garbage paint schemed ones.
 
I got the train engine, it is super nice, the weight is good the colors are good the low speed is great and it runs super quite at anything under 2/3rds throttle.

the engine idle sound is loud though, i need to look at adjusting that CV, it almost hurts my ears if i am standing near the table when it comes around.

The train is slow on top end speed though and i noticed a jerkyness to the movement at different times which i think is a bit odd, i am hoping that works itself out after i have ran it for a few hours.

thanks for the advice all.
 
it should, most engines need a good run in, 30 minutes forward, 30 minutes in reverse and usually are good to go after, as for the sound, turning the volume down some would help, not sure what DCC system you use but the instruction manual should tell you which CV to adjust for the idle volume and all that...also adjusting the top end a bit may help, depending on the loco you have I would look up the prototype spec info and adjust accordingly...;)
 


All sound equipped locos come from the factory with the sound at 100%. I always adjust a new loco to around 40% master volume.

Don't worry about the speed, you should never be running your locos at full speed anyways, it makes them look toy-ish. I usually run my mainline trains about 1/3 throttle, which is about 35-40 scale MPH.
 
okay, another never ending string of questions...i got one more i really need some help with on this.

Note: loco ran smoother last night after running it for the last two days, no more jerkyness.

question: I cannot seem to change the default address code from 3. i need to change it so i can run my bachmann S4 DCC with sound in the yard (and i also think it would be fun to run both trains on the mainline too, even though the S4 is a switch train) and run the Proto2000 DDC with sound on the main.

my controller is the MRC tech 6 6.0 and when i try to change address it does the "sending" readout but the loco does not jerk on the track letting me know it accepted the change. :(

anybody have this problem in the past with this loco, i also tried changing the default address on the bachmann S4 with the same results.

thanks again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had one jerk when I changed from the default.Have you tried running with the new address or are you just assuming it is not working?
 
Me either. I just program it on the layout track. IIRC, you can query the CV for the loco's address. (See the instructions for both the Tech 6 and the particular brand of locomotive. Unfortunately, some of these instructions are written by somebody intimately familiar with the product, and they don't realize there are those of us who are not quite up to speed on all this programming stuff!
 
Normally when i change a CV the loco moves a 1/2 inch or so on the track confirming that it was recieved. maybe it does not do this when changing the address though.

i worked on it again last night and i am not sure what i am doing wrong. it is a tsunami decoder and CV 1 should control the address but once i am done programing it (to address 4, i can only program 1-6 on this unit), it still only responds to the default Loco#3 when i change it to loco#4 it still does not respond.

i do not fully understand the difference between op's mode and programming mode. the MRC tech 6 6.0 appreard not to be able to go into programing mode with just the main line track? can a tsunami decorder address be changed in ops mode? can anybody confirm that all you do is change CV #1 to the new address?

I am pretty sure that it is me not doing somthing right and not the MRC or the loco...:rolleyes:
 
if it does not move to confirm that it has accepted the changes there may be something going on with it...all DCC locos from my knowledge are supposed to move a small amount to confirm changes are accepted...every loco I have does the same behavior...
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top