ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Construction is underway! "Final" design is also included...
Awesome a new layout starting to take shape. Cant wait to see the progress

Ian:
Very nice-looking layout, and I like the double-track main line and the double crossover on the lift-out bridge.
One small thought: Your track access to the mine on the east side from the two mains looks to me like there's a couple of "S" curves. If so it might be a good idea to come straight off of the mains with the turnouts and use the curved turnout routes for staying on the mains. Currently, if you're switching l o n g strings of cars in and out of the mine you will be shoving them through the S curves. As you probably know it's generally not beneficial to do that - higher potential for derailments.
DougC
Thanks Doug. I'll revisit that and see if I can come up with a different arrangement.
In the meantime, I've finished the benchwork!
looks good ianacole...
I cant wait to see more progress, keep showing us progress please

Ian:
You're welcome.
Benchwork is looking fine.
You know, it just occurred to me that this thread could be used as "the" prototype thread for designing a layout with many very knowlegeable helpers, and with both the helpers and the helpee (you) considering and adapting in an overall friendly manner as you all went along.
DougC
Ian:
I like the plan and the benchwork. I agree with the other Doug about the S curve near the mine. Also, the turnout is right after the tunnel, meaning your train will be in the tunnel when switching the mine.
You know, other than because you might want one, I really don't see a need for a tunnel at all. You could have a deep cut instead of the tunnel. Might look cool to have those roads cross it with bridges. I think it might look better if your train was switching the mine from the cut, under some car bridges, with another train sneaking by. As it stands, the tunnel is rather long and may hide too much of the trains. But you don't really have to settle on that until the scenery stage.
Thanks Doughless. I want the elevated area so that I have somewhere to build a city/urban area. But you're right, I've got some time to think about it.
DougC, thanks. There are some very knowledgeable folks and I would be remise to disregard the help

Got the foam down, and started "laying track"

X-TrkCad is pretty handy... Already made some adjustments based on seeing building placement versus track.
And I'm done laying out the track ... plan

I also picked up my first FSM kit - the Bartholow Coal Company. Got a great deal on it as it has some water and mold damage, but nothing that looks like it will impact the finished model, only add to it.
Got all the roadbed down, and got the turntable "sunk." I'm moving the station location to just the other side of the lift-out. This will allow me to a)have the station on the main passenger line (outside), and b) have a small yard area where the station had been located. I've also decided, with help from suggestions here, to not do the tunnel in the SE corner. Instead, I'm going to add another 2' wide section, angled at the entrance at the same angle, to allow for a small city. Since I can access this area from both sides I won't create any reach issues. I may build a mountain with tunnels in the NE corner, with tunnel exits right on the river...not sure yet.
Pics:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)