ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I am in the process of building my bench work for my FIRST layout. I recently had 40 feet of stairs built and have a ton of leftover scrap lumber. I'm going to use some of this for my bench work. My question is, and it may seem silly, but since I have all this scrap could I stack it to build mountains and inclines? My base is plywood, with 1 inch foam board on it. I know the wood adds weight, but since I've got this scrap I feel like I should use it? My layout is n scale and is L shaped.
There is no reason at all why you couldn't use the scrap wood for mountains etc but will be a real "B" to shape. For a first layout, I don't think I would advise you try making your own inclines; however, if you really wanted to then I would use ply or similar, so it would depend on the type of scrap you have to work with.
To me, and while I appreciate you not wanting to waste your left over wood, it does sound as though you might be making a lot of work for yourself for a first layout. Best advice I can offer is to keep your first layout simple, in terms of what you use. That of course will depend on your own skills as well.
By the way, there are NO stupid questions

When using the scrap wood I'll mainly use it as my base and use newspaper to shape the mountains. I just think it would be silly to stack foam when I have some scrap wood around for the first couple of inches. Thanks for your advice!
That being the case, why use the wood at all?
There is no 100% right or wrong way to do your scenery when it comes to forming the shape for your hills, mountains etc, virtually any material could be used. The main reason people use foam, for example, is due to its lack of weight and ability to be easily shaped providing a "solid" base for the scenery that will cover it.
By the same token, the use of scrunched up paper covered with plaster cloth is almost as effective and is easy to do; although could get a little costly if using plaster cloth to cover the paper and obtain the strength.
Both those methods, as well as a number of others, use the bench work and substructure as the base. In short, I see no benefit to using your scrap wood as a "base" for the paper you intend to use. The wood won't provide you with any additional strength and would have to be attached (in some way) to your substructure, just making the process a little harder for you and adding an extra process that doesn't seem needed.
Not trying to be critical here, just keeping in mind that this will be your first layout and trying to make it easier for you in the long run.
I was just trying to be practical and use all this scrap wood I have. I don't have to use it at all. It was just a thought since I've got a ton of it.
Thanks for the advice!
I use scrap 2X4 pieces (cut small) for helping shape buildings during construction. It helps with 90' angles. Substructures also would be good uses of that wood.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)