By definition, wouldn't it be an HH instead of an S? Is there a story behind it? It looks very tight but it seems like a lot of work for a made up thing. I've tried to freelance stuff but it always looks like the photo when I'm done. I guess I'm one of those so disdained "rivit counters" although I have never actually counted rivets.
It looks really good to me too and I would have liked to see it in paint. I inferred from you calling it a high hood S2 it was protolanced. I'm not too familiar with Alcos except S is a switcher, RS is a road switcher, HH is a high hood and C is Century series so if you had said it was an HH1000 I would have nodded, said nice modeling, and not known anything different.
Finding that balance between good enough and insanity is important. At the same time appreciating the efforts some modelers exert to get extremely accurate models can be both educating and humbling. I am still learning and this year is my 9th year as a professional model builder. I think it looks great.
I called it a High Hood S-2 because that is what it really is rather than calling it a HH1000 because that would be incorrect or misleading to anyone who knows what the proto type is. In reality the HH stood for a High Hood switcher. The S-1 was built right after in a lower hood version with newer style blunt trucks and if I am correct they lowered the engine in the frame on the S-1 to allow it to fit.
That reminds me of a story from a club I was in for a couple years. One of the guys ran a B40-8 into the turntable pit. The only trouble was the turntable pit hadn't been installed yet, just a round hole in the benchwork. To his credit, he volunteered to replace it and showed up a couple weeks later with an SD40. They're the same he said. I guess they both have a 40 in the name but also are different generations, have different builders, axle counts, horsepower, etc. He just claimed nobody would know the difference, I think because he didn't know the difference.
