This is my RS3 hammerhead

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


blues90

Member
112-1241_IMG.png


It's a phase II stewart RS3 on the old stewart frame riding on P2K alco trucks powered by a P2K drive .
 


I agree with the others. Going to be LV? I'm not sure who else had them.

actually it is supposed to be WM . The thing that brought the RS3 hammerhead to my mind in the first place was a WM decal set , they all come with sheets in the plastic and there was a photo of a WM hammerhead.

I always liked the odd loco's , especially the re-builds done by C&NW and Katy . No one builds them . I like both the re-builds that used the Baldwin AS16 short hood and cab and frame as well as the RS3 they did using the same parts and then they added a GP-9 long hood planted right on the Baldwin or RS3 frame . I have build a few of both. I came across re-builds in a used railroad magazine where they had a set of three what were called Buffalo's which were a baldwin cab and frame on commonwealth trucks but they build a boxey short low hood that was fabricated and also used the EMD GP9 long hood. C&NW used the commonwealth trucks on a few as well but used like Katy the Baldwin As16 shorthood.
 

I can't wait to see what it looks like painted either. I do recall seeing another sort of odd RS3 hammerhead and I'm thinking perhaps C&NW where the high short hood was not with the normal round corners but it had a square cornered custom build hood but I can't find the railroad or photo.

I used to do one loco at a time and detail and paint it . Then I decided to build 4 or more loco's then go back and detail them all and usually when they were all the same road name then I would paint then all .

The sad truth is I have not painted one single loco since 2003 and that one was for a fellow from NC that was selling a few front range high hood kits for GP30's so he asked me to send him photo's of my work and I did and he sent me a P2K shell and frame that he wanted made into a slug in one of his customers own fictional road name so I did the work. As far as my own loco's the building I have done in the early 90's and the ones I did not sell are still waiting for the detail phase and the ones i sold were sold as built but no paint and the un-installed included handrails and detail parts. I sold many detailed and painted C&NW and C&GW loco's all 25 to one fellow , a few SD40-2's and GP38-2's in NW high hoods. I built all of those in the mid 80's. I saw a magazine artical on the Mantua 2-6-6-2 steam locos and got three pretty cheap back then and finished all three, including the super details they needed.

I still have all my air brushes and compressor and handmade spray booth but for some reason at one point I just stopped cold. I got back into building guitars and did paint the last one in 2006 using a paasche #5 H brush single action . I also got back into building tube powered guitar amps from the ground up just like the guitars. I would jump around from one hobby to another even building fly fishing rods for my own use. And fly tying but all of that is a different subject.
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top