ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I have an HO layout that I will one day finish but which will involve doing some major reworking. For now that layout is not operational.
Meanwhile, I've been considering building a small sort of temporary layout. But with this layout, my plan is to make the entire layout look like it was built in the 60's or 70's when I was a kid, building it with a sort of Retro theme. That would mean, as much as possible, using scenery details, structure kits and more that were available at that time. I would also plan to closely follow one of the vintage track plans for a 4x8 size layout.
But, because of space limitations and because this would just be a layout that I could enjoy till I can get the main layout operational, I am thinking of a little different twist thats not quite so retro. I am considering using EZ track so the layout could be taken apart easilly. I am thinking of doing the scenery in a combination of interlocking panels or sections. Sort of like the old vintage American Flyer All Aboard train layout (maybe it would be retro after all).
My layout is based on a similar theme. Since I have a large collection of rolling stock, with everything from early wood boxcars to modern equipment, I went with a museum theme. I will have a two-track mainline, one track for the train ride, the other for the "photo freight".
The thing is, some of my cars practically ARE museum pieces in and of themselves. At a recent train show I picked up some old tinplate HO boxcars, as well as about 10 cardstock freight cars from the early days of HO scale railroading. I also still use DC power for the layout, and the majority of the motive power roster is made up of old Athearn locomotives. I've actually been told that I should throw my engines away because they don't meet today's standards.
I say go ahead with the idea. A retro layout should be fun. However, you might want to forgo at least one scenery technique: asbestos mountains.
I've been collecting Plasticville buildings and plan an isolated section on my next layout to be throwback to my childhood. At this point I'm thinking of isolating it visually from the rest of the layout by putting it behind a window frame. I would do as I always envisioned it then. The trains from the rest of the layout would pass thru it as if another town. I think it would be cool.
I think I will pass on the asbestos mountains. But its nice to see I'm not alone in this line of thinking. I may not use my old plasticville buildings, but I have alot of vintage or reproduction Revell, Tyco, AHM, Atlas, and Model Power buildings that I built and detailed or which I still have yet to build. I will be using Athearn engines and rolling stock that I've had since the 70's.
Scenery materials have come a long way in the last 40 years, but can also be very expensive and time consuming. Part of the appeal of this retro theme to me is that with a fraction of the detail and effort I've put forth on my permanant layout, this temporary layout could still look outstanding compared to how alot of layouts were built back in the day. For example, I think I'll use Woodland Scenics ground foam rather than the more period correct colored sawdust for the ground cover, but I may use printed cardstock for some brick or stone retaining walls. In the Atlas King Size book of track plans, is the Waterlevel Western which, with some modifications, is the layout I'm leaning towards building. Also in that book is a plan for a larger Berkshire Valley layout. One of the scenery ideas they incorporate is an elevated village to hide some of the trackwork. I have already decided to duplicate that detail as a section of scenery that can be positioned and removed once the track is in place. Actually, I already built that section of scenery and hope that once the track is down that all my calculations were correct. I will also be using some other scenery ideas from the old books I've had laying around for decades.
...told that I should throw my engines away because they don't meet today's standards.
I don't know, most of those "supergeared" Athearn engines were pretty good runners! And they can look fine - I still have one unopened Walthers diesel dress-up kits for when I get the whim. My best running F7, from layout #2 circa 1976, can draw a full freakin' amp, however....
Strikes me that you could get some quite useful "donations" to your layout by just asking! If you're planning modeling UP/RI/SP, PM me....
No kidding! I was talking to a friend at the train show about the cardstock cars I had just bought. Turns out, one of the vendors overheard me. She came came up and said that she and her husband had a whole bunch of cardstock equipment and that they wouldn't turn down an offer. She gave me her number, and mentioned another show that she and her husband would be at.
Like I said, my layout is a museum, so I'm not restricted by time period or road name. However, like most prototype museums, I AM restricted by SPACE. All of my sidings are packed with equipment, and there's more in boxes underneath the layout. However, I don't have a problem with rotating equipment between operation, display,and storage. I've been taking photos of my layout progress, so look for a thread on my layout soon.
Well I was thinking about experimenting with aluminum foil for the water for this retro layout, but I was thinking a little differently. I was considering using a clear piece of plastic, brushing on tinted gloss medium on top to simulate color and ripples in the water, but still allow light to pass through. I would paint the bottom of the clear plastic a transparent blue, then below the transparent or at least transluscent surface would be aluminum foil. Hopefully ripples on the foil might pick up light in the room and provide an occasional reflection of light. Just a thought. I'll have to experiment with it first. But the plan would be using materials that were available 40 years ago.
, but I may use printed cardstock for some brick or stone retaining walls. In the Atlas King Size book of track plans, is the Waterlevel Western which, with some modifications, is the layout I'm leaning towards building. Also in that book is a plan for a larger Berkshire Valley layout. One of the scenery ideas they incorporate is an elevated village to hide some of the trackwork. I have already decided to duplicate that detail as a section of scenery that can be positioned and removed once the track is in place. Actually, I already built that section of scenery and hope that once the track is down that all my calculations were correct. I will also be using some other scenery ideas from the old books I've had laying around for decades.
Sorry about the poor photos but heres a few pictures of the lift out scenery section inspired by the Berkshire Valley layout in the Atlas King Size Layout book. The two Revell houses and the Life-Like hotel were all on the original section in the Atas book.
A bridge will extend the roadway (in front of the 36 Ford) over the tracks to the edge of the layout.
Heres a few more photos. Once I have the entire temporary layout laid out, and have adjacent scenery started, then I will complete the scenery on this section. At the bottom of the steep ramp down, there will be an Atlas passenger station (a kit that has been in continous production since the late 50's).
This lift out section will sit over one corner of the layout and will hide a little of the track work. On this section are a vintage Revell farm house I built as a kid and a Life-Like hotel that also built as a kid. The AHM house on the corner (cream color) is a kit thats been around forever but which I built about 10 years ago. The Revell suburban house (in blue) is an early 60's vintage kit that I found on e-bay. The little ranch house is converted from a repair shop kit thats been around since the 50's and the white colonial house (rooming house) may not be quite as vintage but has at least been around for 20 years. The Tyco church was a 70's reissue of a 50's Aurora kit.
Streets are illustration board painted Grimey Black. I did use contemporary Walthers Street System sidewalks and curbs though. Retaining wall is printed stonework sheets from Faller glued to foam core board (though originally Atlas used cardboard).