Creating layers and terrain
Lynnb,
Okay here goes nothing ... for the fourth attempt
I always start with 2" green or pink foam as a base for my terrain, rarely does that foam form any part of the end result though.
Creating the terrain, or layers is a two step operation and is very VERY easy. Basically, it is little more than layers of 1/2" and 1" insulation foam covered with plaster.
The foam is cut to form the fundamental shape for the terrain with each layer being cut about 1" - 2" smaller than the previous. For example, if you look at the raised area between the track and road way in front of the depot, that is nothing more than a piece of 1" foam, which was shaped then covered in plaster which fashioned the final shape of the ground. I simply keep adding plaster until I like what I see and it looks proportional and realistic or at least believable. If it doesn't I cut it out and start again until it does look right to me. It is that simple!
The mountains are created the same way, with layers of foam sheeting, each layer being a little smaller than the one beneath it then the whole thing covered with plaster. I use plaster to create things such as the little section of ground between the depot road and station with the tree's on it. That is all plaster as is the sloped hill sections forming the approach to the tunnel.
If you have a "huge" layout, you could have numerous levels and plateaus and valleys and hills which would be great .
Now, for the track work I use woodlands foam risers and gradients to give me the basic "lift" for the track. That foam is then covered with plaster cloth, for stability of the gradients and risers only, then covered with about a 1/4" of plaster which I then spend hours sanding back to get a smooth as a babies bum base for the road bed.
The areas that run along side the raised track sections are either filled with scrap foam then covered with plaster OR, I just run plaster down the sides of the gradient/risers to form an embankment.
Bottom line is this ... 1/2" and 1" insulation foam to form the basic shape of the land, then a ton of plaster on top of that to create the physical terrain with bumps and dips and so forth.
When I get to the left side of the layout, I have to do some raising of areas, so I will be able to show step by step how it all works; although, all of tat raising will be plaster only.
Hope this makes sort of sense, if it doesn't just say and I will try to elaborate or clarify what I have said.