Zephyr
Rocket Red
I have been working on these projects in the last month or so. These involved repainting, decals, weathering, and standardizing. I only added a decoder to the U33B thus far; I have yet to figure out the internal workings of the Alco. Enjoy!
Alco C415
This started life as an IHC Rio Grande (they never had C415s in real life). The Rock Island actually had 10, a few of which survived shutdown as switchers for shortlines. There is still at least one C415 still kicking around for the Burlington Junction railway. This concept is based on a repowering in the late 1980s. I added pilots, MU hoses, handgrabs, all-weather window, antenna, air horn, bell, air tanks, and shortened the cab to medium height. The unit also had truck-mounted couplers, so I installed some new coupler boxed on the frame.
As I bought it (before):
After:
GE U33B
This is actually a B30-9R (30 for the new horsepower rating, the 9 for the generation of electronics, and R for rebuild), repowered in the early 90s, similar to the C415, for yard work. Rock Island had about 30 of these and a few were repainted into the blue and used as slug mothers. I bought this Athearn kit off eBay and it already had lots of details added like MU hoses, handgrabs, antenna, and air horn. I just added the plow, sun shades, and windows.
This photo was taken by the eBay seller (before):
And after:
And a shot of my entire fleet of older "heritage" locomotives:
C415, GP7, GP38-2, U33B, and U30C.
Alco C415
This started life as an IHC Rio Grande (they never had C415s in real life). The Rock Island actually had 10, a few of which survived shutdown as switchers for shortlines. There is still at least one C415 still kicking around for the Burlington Junction railway. This concept is based on a repowering in the late 1980s. I added pilots, MU hoses, handgrabs, all-weather window, antenna, air horn, bell, air tanks, and shortened the cab to medium height. The unit also had truck-mounted couplers, so I installed some new coupler boxed on the frame.
As I bought it (before):
After:
GE U33B
This is actually a B30-9R (30 for the new horsepower rating, the 9 for the generation of electronics, and R for rebuild), repowered in the early 90s, similar to the C415, for yard work. Rock Island had about 30 of these and a few were repainted into the blue and used as slug mothers. I bought this Athearn kit off eBay and it already had lots of details added like MU hoses, handgrabs, antenna, and air horn. I just added the plow, sun shades, and windows.
This photo was taken by the eBay seller (before):
And after:
And a shot of my entire fleet of older "heritage" locomotives:
C415, GP7, GP38-2, U33B, and U30C.
Last edited by a moderator:
