The one thing that I love about model railroading...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I think 1:1 steam engines will be running for as long as the metallurgy allows them to, which I suspect is at least the next hundred years. After that, there will start to be major failures in things like the frame, which are not easy or cost-effective to repair. I think the chances of a running steam engine five hundred years from now are very small. The ringer in all this is the "green" movement. Even if we have steam engines a hundred years from now that are still capable of running, will we still have oil and coal to fuel them? Will they be allowed to run under more stingent (some might say draconian) pollution control laws? Time will tell.
 
i just can't get immersed into mu RR world as i used to be able when i was a child. and for some reason i don't enjoy running the train as much. it the process of building the table, layout and landscape that makes it for me.

Maybe you should try to find an operations oriented layout and try your hand. Personally, I think that's the best part of 'running the train'. You're not just making it go in circles all alone in your basement. Getting out with like-minded train folks is FUN!

I see you're from the Chicago area. I'm sure if you ask around at the hobby shops, you'll find somebody looking for an operator. There's almost never enough to go around.

The most important advise I can give about operations is DON'T BE AFRAID! As long as you don't knock anything on the floor and damage it, what's the worst that can happen? Even if you forget to stop, the little plastic figure standing at the depot will STILL be standing there the next time! And the power station WON'T be generating any more power whether you leave the coal or not!

I've heard that some people take it way too seriously. I'm pretty sure that's the exception, not the norm (it is in my experience). For me, if it ain't fun, then I ain't doing it. This is a HOBBY!

Kerry
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think 1:1 steam engines will be running for as long as the metallurgy allows them to, which I suspect is at least the next hundred years. After that, there will start to be major failures in things like the frame, which are not easy or cost-effective to repair. I think the chances of a running steam engine five hundred years from now are very small. The ringer in all this is the "green" movement. Even if we have steam engines a hundred years from now that are still capable of running, will we still have oil and coal to fuel them? Will they be allowed to run under more stingent (some might say draconian) pollution control laws? Time will tell.

I never said they would be running. I figured on my own that they wouldn't last after the next 40 years or so, but who knows. I just imagined them sitting in some future museum of transportation.
 


Oh, I think steam engines will be running 40 years from now, again, assuming they don't have a problem with pollution requirements. A 100 year life span for a steam engine is not unusual if it's well maintained. Railroads were using locomotives built in the 1870's, albiet rebuilt, until after the war, so they were running in revenue service for 60 to 70 years. An engine lightly used in excursion service should be able to make it longer than that and many of the engines that are running are less than 70 years old. I can see them still serviceable up to at least 2050. After that, things become more problematic. As far as preservation, I can't imagine that steam engines won't end up in museums for future generations to marvel at. There are Roman chariots preserved in museums today, and I think steam locomotives will always be a symbol of the industrial revolution.
 
Working on trains sometimes gets me flustered, Especially with these older, less nimble fingers. Accurate painting is even harder with the shakiness. But watching them run? ..... now that's a treat. Dreaming that you are the hostler in the cab of an old Berkshire, or a more modern SD75M, what could be better? Well, maybe riding in the cupola of a caboose on a mixed freight or a long coal drag........ I can smell the coffee brewin' on the old oil stove now. Hey! Wait!!! That's my coffee pot!!!!!!

As long as there are chuffs, the shrill blast of a steam whistle, steam releases scaring the be-jesus out of anyone standing within 20 feet, and people willing to restore and maintain these behemoths, there will be steam engines......running steam engines.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you should try to find an operations oriented layout and try your hand. Personally, I think that's the best part of 'running the train'. You're not just making it go in circles all alone in your basement. Getting out with like-minded train folks is FUN!

I see you're from the Chicago area. I'm sure if you ask around at the hobby shops, you'll find somebody looking for an operator. There's almost never enough to go around.

Kerry

thanks Kerry. i will give it a try, although i REALLY don't want to visit the nearest store. i would think however there would have been at least some invitations for such events on forum. in-car computer and my car specific forums i am a member of have local meets all the time.
 
Train guys are a funny bunch. Most of us aren't graced with many social skills. It many just be a case of getting your name out there and letting folks know that you're interested in operations.

Maybe try the farthest hobby shop. :)

Kerry
 
Should have also added that operating sessions are not something that are 'open to the public'. So you probably won't ever see such an 'event' posted anywhere. That's why I suggested asking around. If you do get an invite, remember guys are looking for operators, not bystanders, or rail fans, or bs'ers. So, don't just stand on the sidelines.

Ask questions, grab a throttle, and go!

Kerry
 
I built my first MRR twenty years ago. Then family, work and other distractions forced model railroading into cardboard boxes.

I retired 3 years ago and dug out my rolling stock and 20 year old Athearn diesels 2 years ago. Back then I had "tuned up" the Athearns using the instructions in a book I bought. I put one on a length of track and hooked it up to my original transfomer and it came back to life. They run as good today as they did 20 years ago. Of course, I have added a few more to the stable...

The strides that have been made in the past twenty years are mind boggling. Just the introduction of DCC revolutionized the hobby. Can't wait to hook the layout up to my PC.

Now I'm turning my den onto a 12x8 mutlilayer HO layout. Up here in the Great White North, winters are brutal. And the cold weather and I just don't get along like we used to. So MRRing is a winter hobby for me. When I work on it, I get so wrapped up in it that the days just fly by. And before I know it, it's spring.:D
 


There is no expiration date on equipment, track or projects.
Well, almost. I found a locomotive on sale and purchased it for an upcoming special event. Come the event I got out the loco and guess what - it didn't work. I took it back to the hobby store and was told that it had been too long since I purchased it. They would not exchange it, repair it, or anything.

I've also purchased a bunch of paint for some projects. Didn't get to them soon enough and the paint dried out. bummer. Paint, lubricants, glue, foam (like in brass locomotives packaging) all get old and rot. I've suffered from all of these.
 
WS, get in touch with the manufacturer. Most will make it right. If it's been less than 90 days and you paid by credit card, contact them and file a complaint. They may be able to help you out.

Bob
 
I'ver been in model railroading longer, and more steadily, than the 1:1 stuff. I've had a few years away from the models from time to time, but all I have to do is take the boxes out of the closet, and I'm back in business. However, I think the new sound equipped locomotives may be a double-edged sword. My wife hears the trains running, and knows where to find me. No more hiding out in the train room...:o
 
.......... However, I think the new sound equipped locomotives may be a double-edged sword. My wife hears the trains running, and knows where to find me. No more hiding out in the train room...:o

Ain't that the truth!!! Funny how the women-folk figger things out so fast!!

Bob
 
That's why the F8 button is on your controller. Run silent, run deep when you think she's looking for you. :D
 
Well, almost. I found a locomotive on sale and purchased it for an upcoming special event. Come the event I got out the loco and guess what - it didn't work. I took it back to the hobby store and was told that it had been too long since I purchased it. They would not exchange it, repair it, or anything.

I've also purchased a bunch of paint for some projects. Didn't get to them soon enough and the paint dried out. bummer. Paint, lubricants, glue, foam (like in brass locomotives packaging) all get old and rot. I've suffered from all of these.

With practices like that, no wonder why people are turning to the internet. I would think you could revive the paint with some thinner to get most of it back. I have a bunch of Model Flex paint from over 10 years ago thats still sitting in a closet. I havent checked for at least that long, I wonder if they are still good. A few of them have never been opened.
 
Chris, if they've never been opened, you have a chance. For anything that's been opened, it's only good for the trash. I'm really careful with my enamel paints, using Vaseline to seal the edges and make sure the paint is cleaned off before I reseal it. If I'm lucky, the paint will hold up for a year before it become a glob of gunk. You can save some of them with paint thinnner but then you end up with a thinner, lighter color paint. I've heard of storing them in a freezer that supposedly works but I've never tried it. We barely have enough room in the freezer for food. :) One of the advantages of acrylics is that they have a much longer shelf life and a little distilled water will usually bring it back to life if it's thickened up some. I have some acrylics that are at least three years old and they're still good.
 
i got back into the hobby about 6 years ago from childhood (mid 80s) and recently come to face the reality that I will have to wait till later in life to work on and finish my layout. I am right now carefully packing up a bunch of rolling stock and structures. in the meantime so i can stay in touch with the hobby i am setting up a weathering station. my intention is to read a lot and practice weathering - a lot. I have some old tyco and bachman junk to practice on that i got at a yard sale. this forum will continue to be a source of inspiration.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top