The little engine that could for $120

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Steamguy

Member
I just bought a Mantua 0-6-0 switcher with DCC and sound for $120. The switcher is Bethlehem Steel #19. I have a few pictures of it running on AAMRC
su3uvevu.jpg
3y6ezy9a.jpg
8a8ygutu.jpg
egetyju6.jpg
hy3a5ysu.jpg
 


Nice little unit, sounds like one of Karl's beasties!
How's it run?

It runs okay. The locomotive's moves are a bit jerky and it has a bit of a surge to it. The sound is mediocre, so I am either looking into new sound files on the decoder and/or new speaker(s).

Best regards,
Jim
 
Hey guys. Its been a while since I've been posting. A quick update for Rico. I think the jerkiness and and mediocre running qualities were just a bug that just need some break in time to smooth out. It runs great, though manages to find all of the bad track spots (probably because it's running in the club's yards, the few sections of track that don't get touched and therefore don't get cleaned until I show up every week). The sound is still less than A+, but it's not bad for $120. The whistle is not annoyingly high pitched or unsuitably low pitched, the bell is nice with a good interval between rings, and the headlight is bright, but not so bright that it takes away from the realism. I love this little loco because it can make an big impact on your yard, without leaving a huge dent in your wallet.
 
Being a big fan of small steam locos I relly like your little engine that could, its a pity that Model Power and Mantua are folding, I hope someone takes over their manufacture.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top