ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
This is the amusement park entrance that will be placed at the beginning of my midway. I believe it is a Faller fire station??? I haven't seen others like it. I bought it at a used model train store several years ago. The midway measures 16 feet long (scale feet about 1400 feet). The midway will be lined with a double row of tall Lombardy Poplars. The midway will resemble the one that was at Coney Island, Cincinnati, Ohio up until its closing in 1971. Several rides and attractions are either already built, or are under construction, that will lie along the midway. A wooden roller coaster called the Spiral Dips is nearing completion (I will get pics of it soon). It is being built from original 1928 blueprints of a roller coaster that was never built. This is the only known blueprints for this roller coaster. At the end of the midway (opposite the entrance) is a large ballroom---a Vollmer Casino Loyale building with an extended rear section.
I will be posting other pics of other structures as I get photos of them. This layout is in HO scale.
This is the Lake Forest Hotel, one of numerous motels/hotels that are already constructed or being built for my amusement resort model. This hotel will overlook a large lake about 12 feet away from the amusment park midway. The entire lake resort HO scale layout measures 26 feet by 26 feet.
This is the 28 unit Flamingo Court Motel (HO scale) at the Lakeside Resort. It is one of three Doo Wop style motels built from Bachmann Motels. Instead of using the standard office from these kits, I have used other models. The first picture shows the general layout of the motor court. The second picture shows the office (glassed in area) and small restaurant (blue stone area). The third picture shows the game room (glassed in area---opposite side from the office). A large swimming pool will reside in the center of the U-shaped motel layout. I have palm trees (fake Doo Wop type motel palms) for this area. Parking is in front of the rooms.
This is the HO scale Treetops Mansion that resides at the Lakeside Resort. It is my most expensive model having costed $795. It is a one of a kind model designed and built by Howard Zane. This house will be located on the slopes of a hill that leads down toward the lake. It is in a section called The Village (a mainly Victorian residential area). From this section will be a sky lift taking patrons to the top of Summit Hill where a large Vollmer station serves as a hotel and station. At the top, one can go down the other side of the hill via an inclined railway leading to Old Town where there is a cave and a Western style ghost town (all 9 of the Walthers Boomtown structures---not assembled yet). These four pictures were taken by Howard Zane.
This Howard Zane original HO scale house is also located in The Village. It is to be located next door to the Treetops. This house is called The Seven Pines for the seven pines located around the house. These four pictures were taken by Howard Zane.
Wow those houses could pass for the real thing!
Altho that motel would take up a lot of railroadable space it would be a great place to show off some classic vehicles.
Hi Rico. Howard Zane does incredible work. I had looked at the Victorian house several times in the past, and then I decided to contact him to see if he still had it. And he did. So I took a deep breath (trying to block out the price) and bought it. Then after getting it I was overwhelmed and bought the second one from him.
As for the motel---it is big. It takes up about 4 X 4 feet on the layout. Nearby is to be a drive-in movie theatre (wood kit I bought). I bought a bunch of HO scale vintage type cars for it. The second Doo Wop motel is called the El Habanera. It is about 5 feet long, but not as wide. Then, the third Doo Wop is called the Falcon's Nest, and it takes up about 4 X 2 feet. These three motels are located on a 12 X 4 section of the layout---out of the way of the main parts of the resort area. There will be other motels/hotels in this area---it is to be on the shore of the lake.
A trolley line will run down the Main Street and past these Doo Wops before making a turn into the amusement park district. Small vintage 19th century trains will also pass through this area, but they will enter a spur carrying them over a causeway and to The Village (Victorian Village) where the Howard Zane houses are. Other Victorian houses will be located there too. The trains will then pass through a tunnel through Summit Hill and enter Old Town (Western themed). The Old Town is located some 20 feet away from the Doo Wop district.