Jim,LOL where do I begin

a few years ago they (NMRA)had a show here in Wa state great my club was all set to go one small catch,to be part of the show you had to belong to the NMRA ??
Attendance at an NMRA sanctioned show has never been and have never had a requirement that you be an NMRA member to attend. That's why NMRA conventions, meets etc. have a member and a non-member registration price. I have been both a volunteer and an official at the regional level with national tie ins and have assisted in putting on two nationals and worked four and have never heard of such. You should have called him on it. Now if you are talking about entering something, like a contest, and wasn't a member, then I can see that comment being made. Contests are limited to NMRA members, that's why they're called NMRA
contests. If you're talking something else then they had no right to stipulate such.
At the same show the powers to be of the NMRA were having a meeting on the swap floor all well and good till they the "POWERS TO BE" began slaming each other and some other ppl right there on the swap floor in front of the public mind you KIDS were there need I say more.
Must be local yokels from the PCR or PNWR, (what ever they call themselves)! This
was ridiculous! But then again anyone could have acted like this, just because they were NMRA doesn't mean they have an exclusive to being asinine.
Go back to the conventiuon they held here in Seattle,Wa I was helping my club set up I had switching layout hooked up to the main layout then one of the "NMRA powers to be" came by and not knowing who the owner was or were he was said" What is this piece of **** doing here

needless to say I was on him like in a nano second
Even if he was the floor manager he should have found out
quietly from your club representative whose "POS" it was. Often times in a show of the magnitude of a National Convention, or even a Regional for that matter, there simply isn't room for any extra piece of layout in an area where there may not be any more room allotted, or can be allotted for pieces not on the plan provided by
your club. Personally I wouldn't and haven't BTW allowed any other pieces on the layout other than what we had allowed room for. I wouldn't care whose module it was. Keep in mind that any extra room taken up by extra layout pieces could mean that someone else may not get to show their layout.
Also as far as you knew, he could have also just been chewed out by the fire marshall because,"this area is not what is on the plan you submitted to us and you have 5 minutes to correct this or we're shutting you down!" BTW this has almost happened at a couple of conventions.
I have never met anyone in the NMRA that has had that attitude, and soon didn't get ostrasized by the other members and if they had a position of responsibility, they soon lost it. Having someone like this is a position of dealing with the general public is just pure suicide for the local group. I have heard of things like this happening at a
club level and such, but at a convention??? Any NMRA member knows from the get go that there is no, "my way or the hiway", for getting things done. To do so otherwise is simply asking for nothing to get done. Anyone who believes otherwise needs to attend one of our SER Conventions. We never do anything the same way twice. We have conventions that are a ball to attend as a convention attendee and as a convention host.
I don't deny that stuff like you describe doesn't happen, but there are way too many other members and "powers that be", (whoever they are. We have elections every two years here. You screw up and you'll never serve a second term!), that don't act like this,
never have and
never will. I've met fewer than
ten that act like you describe since I first joined in 1980. I know of several of those who are no longer members, but I have met
hundreds more that aren't. To base an entire national organization on the antics of a few out of control people is in my opinion, grossly unfair. You'll never change what you don't like about an organization from the outside. The only way to change it is join it and then work to change it from the inside. I bet you'll have more success. I bet you may even have some fun.