The Forums seem quiet?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Not a problem mate, and it sounds as though you have a great family, especially your Aussie bred canine mates. Not a big cat fan though. The only dog I had was German Shephard (Jess). I had her from a pup up till the day I had no choice but to have her put down, she was 12. She traveled and saw more of Oz than most people and was a true and completely dedicated mate to me, incredibly gentle but also ferociously protective. Even after almost 10 years, I still miss her a great deal.
 
G'day back Tony...Some dogs are incredibly special..sounds like Jess was one of those...My one year old kelpie , Daisy is a lovable lunatic.. but Missy my Border Collie is so smart and intuitive it's uncanny...She's the classic marked BC except for a small white tip only on her tail..medium coat...reads me like a book..
She's four and a half...Re the Forum..I'm also a member of a model aircraft forum now and compared to this amazing forum that one is positively snail paced ..to be honest I can't be bothered with it already because I've been spoiled rotten with great action here..See what you've done..stirred up a hornets nest of action on this topic...Good on ya... Cheers Rod..
 
Hi Guys,

On dogs and other pets: A century ago during the Great War of 1914-1918 the British Royal Flying Corps discovered that when a squadron-mate was lost, squadron morale stayed better if he was replaced immediately. While that seems counter-intuitive compared to giving people time to grieve, the results showed it to be clearly the better of the two choices. The policy was commonly referred to as "no empty seats at the mess." This morning my hubby and I are enjoying the very first day of our new kitten, who is already easing the hurt in our hearts over the recent passing of our 17 1/2 year old kitty.

On forum camaraderie: When I first came to this forum it didn't take but a day or so for it to be evident that for the most part nice people treated one another with respect here. Look what happened when I asked for help with projects; dozens of folks scrambled to my aid with suggestions and links when I was still a total stranger. I like it here.

I also attend the model aircraft forum at http://www.rcgroups.com, where I usually also find nice respectful people. But, even if only occasionally, I have seem more flaming there than here. This is a great forum and I appreciate all you folks who make this venue a happy friendly place.

On usernames: My concern about letting out too much information is that access to this forum isn't limited to only other model railroaders whom we (hopefully rightfully) assume are nice sane people. At this very moment there is nothing stopping an ISIS group from reading what we post here. Why they would bother reading it is beside the point; they could. So could another yet undiscovered Charles Manson. I've got a gun and know how to use it, but there is no sense in making it any easier than necessary for a bad guy, should there ever be one.

Hugs,
Diane
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Glad you feel at home here Diane and you do make some valid points, especially with regards the internet and the lack of security that exists for it.

I also think that the guys and girls here are a fairly intelligent lot who are able to pick out the people who are here for reasons "other than" model railroading. Those people tend to be ignored and soon leave. That is apart of the self regulating attitude of the forums and the need to keep them friendly and helpful, as you and every one else who joins here realizes in a very short period of time.
 
As far as internet security goes, I say what ever each individual is comfortable with.

My real name is Louis Bruette I am listed in the phone book. Any one who wants to come visit is more then welcome.

Speaking of Dogs I have to mention my last 2 dogs. First my Dalmatian Mickey he was my constant companion for 14 years. I called him my road dog because when I was self employed one of my businesses was road service. He would sit in the drivers seat of my truck and watch out for me. No one could approach me with out McDog letting me know. He saved me at least twice form being surprised by what I believed to be would be robbers, (most people don't wear ski masks to just to say hello) once he spoiled their surprise they left. Mick passed away from Kidney failure on 12/17/2001 It was very difficult to hold him in my arms as they injected him with the drugs to put him to sleep, but I could not watch my friend suffer so much any more.

Last but not least my English Cocker Spaniel Bessy. She was my nurse in the darkest days of my life. She would sit with me or lay with me to keep me warm when I was so very ill with pancreatitis. She would never leave my side when I was very ill, with everyone working I was home alone several hours a day. I was released from the hospital to be able to die at home, but Bessy would not have that. She gave me strength, she comforted me and made me happy. Sure enough my pancreatitis stabilized and I am doing very well now. My Bessy passed away on 10/11/12 from heart failure. I miss that little girl so much.

For the first time in my life I was depressed after Bessy died. So much that I did not want to even set up a Christmas train that year. My daughter bought me the Lionel Polar Express set and got me to set it up under the tree for my grandson. My daughters are too smart and a bit conniving with old dad. Her real motive was to motivate me. She had heard me say how much I had wanted Lionel trains when I was a boy and she knew I could not say no to my grandson.

I have my Bessy, my daughter and my grandson to thank for my love of Lionel trains and my recently found passion for all things trains.

Here is Bessy with her buddy, our cat Noel. She is 14 now, she had a stroke last year, but she has recovered well and is as crazy as ever, just a bit slower and wobbly. By the way my beagles Sophie and Tucker love Noel, but she does not like them. She was great friends with Mickey and Bessy. Noel missed Bessy so much she got fat for the first time in her life after Bessy died. She is back to her normal skinny self now. I think she secretly likes Sophie and Tucker.
Bessy & Noel.jpg
 
Hi Diane,

We have a 12 year old and 18 year old (kittens) and know it will be very dark around when they leave. Somehow the pets mean more to us than our real children and grandchildren. I wonder sometimes if God made them as the real "people" and us as the inferior beings tested in the fiery trials of life.

People can find my real name (Dave, there are so many that it doesn't work well on here) and lots of stuff about me on youtube and G+ and linked in and other places that I don't even know about.

Kudo's to you if you are able to maintain your anonymity (sp).

Great to have you on here!! lasm
 
Yes sir, I have had my fair share of cats and dogs and with each passing I say I don't want to go through that again. Here is a twist on emotions. I have about a third of an acre that I have to mow every year for weed abatement purposes or I will be fined. It is fenced so I thought I would get some goats to do the job. I got 3 pigmy goats from the people a couple of properties away and threw them in. 1 was a year older than the other 2 which were twins. The twins, Bell and Noel(born at Christmas) are inseparable. They would not venture more that 20 feet from each other. A year ago, Noel died. I had a pile off rocks I made for them to stand on and that day Bell would stand on that pile and Bah for 10 minutes then slowly walk back to the shelter. She repeated this process continually for a week and a half allthough the intervals increased with time. It started at every half hour and slowly diminished. More strange is that in the 9 years I have had them, I have never seen them in the rain. Even a heavy drizzle would send them to their shelter. It was a rainy week, yet Bell still would go to that rock pile overlooking the pasture and Bah, I assume calling for her sister. It was a real tear jerker for me not because I had any emotional ties with the goats but to see the antics that Bell was going through with the loss of her best bud. Animals have emotions I guess. By the way, Bell is doing fine:time marches on!
 
bwells,

That is a sad story and you are right, animals do have emotions and feelings even though we forget that sometimes or don't even consider it at all.

In case no one knew, I am a 100% animal lover, of all types and kinds. As crazy as this maybe, I remember the first time I accidentally hit a squirrel, I felt so guilty and so bad for days to the point I didn't want to drive back over that stretch of road until the body was gone. Like I said, I love animals and have more time and respect and compassion for them than I do for the majority of people.

On a slightly more humorousness note, last year we had our share of field mice coming into the house. There was one that was so defiant about being caught and returned to the great outdoors, that I figured if I couldn't beat the little guy - I'd join him. Much to my wife's horror, that little guy became a sort of pet. It was kinda fun feeding him potato chips :)

Now we have a VERY mouthy Blue Headed Pionus Parrot, who pretty much runs the house and has the run of the house. Never thought I'd get all that close to a bird, but Oz is a real character and good mate.
 
Dogs are a man's best friend!

Here is my 12 year old Golden her name is Keena. She's a Broncos fan!

P1010345_1.jpg
 


G'day Mike and all , tell you what we all have in common other than Model rail....We sure have some great pets...Here's the 'ladies"..Missy is the Border Collie on a wet day just after New Years Day this year and her with Daisy (Blue Kelpie) in June..Missy is now four and a half and Daisy recently turned one year old...The ladies share the place with old Bonnie the cat who is almost 16... Cheers Rod..
rainy missy.jpgmiss and daze.jpg
 
Looks like Daisy likes chewing the daisies Rod, but there ain't any. Giving you the hint to feed me??
 
G'day Toot , You don't want to know what little Daze as she gets called a bit nowadays eats....She gets the best tucker , eats better than me sometimes but she still has a fascination for dirty stinkin' wallaby legs or their poop sometimes....and fish heads and milk cartons and..frisbees .. That one in the photo has long since gone to the great Flying Disc Heaven in the sky...chews the s..t out of them.. Missy the BC is a much more discerning diner..but prime mince is her favourite. Missy's panting after a big run is a good copy of a 4-8-8-4 but Daisy sounds more like a little 2-6-2 .Been meaning to ask..Have you found any decent MRL SD70 ACe models yet ? I wonder how long it'll be before Athearn re issues them again..Soon I hope..Cheers Rod
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Athearn has 4 new numbers coming out early next year, but none in the latest 4400 number series with the insulated (comfort cab), all in the 4300 series, and only 1 of them with the new red "meatball" logo as it's been nicknamed. They have the moulds as they've previously produced them in BNSF and will be also in that new release. Dissapointing, I hope they're not going to make us wait till they've used up all the 4300's (got 8 more after those to go). The railroads will be taking delivery of the "Next Gen's" by then if they do. There is an Australian model shop that can "reflash" the MTH PS3 decoders to bring them up to the latest DCC consisting capability. Will have to dig in my emails and let you know who they are.
 
MOTLEY--wonder what you have been up to, are you working on your layout?? Golfing has to be over by now!! lasm
 
MOTLEY--wonder what you have been up to, are you working on your layout?? Golfing has to be over by now!! lasm

Hi Iasm, yes I've been working on my layout. Still working on the trackwork on the new mainlines. I just finished with the flood loader project. Now I'm working on the update for the Union Station platforms, and next is the new Hotel next to it.
 
Will add my 2 cents on the fur friends. Glad to see so many animal lovers around here.
Lost my 2nd Doxie, Sadie, about 7 years ago .. She was almost 18!
Lost my BC, Sweetie, 2 years ago .. She was almost 19!
The two I have at the present have interesting roots. Foxie, the Carolina Dog, I found at the pound a few weeks after Sadie passed. She was 7-8 months old at the time.
Charlie, the Poodle mix, was found by my daughter out in the country on the side of the road. He would not have lasted the night from the many coyotes in the area. Made every effort to find owners to no avail. Vet said he was 4-5 months old.
They both love to ride, and seem to never leave my side ...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
 


Might have to rename this thread to Pets Paradise :) But it is great to see people sharing their best mates with everyone ... it sort of enhances the reality of who we are, actual people and not just words on a page or a name.

Keep them coming guys, this is (after all) a free for all in here, within reason of course :)
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top