ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I have done the same thing. Built a switchback siding and it sat empty for years. Originally I had thought about it being a gravel pit, but now it's going to be a salvage yard. Something will fit.
My two G sons will be out here this weekend and will want to run trains for a while. Had to clean up the basement so there wasn't so much clutter for them to get into. I'm putting together a small switching schedule for them to work out.
I took some time to just run trains tonight before the Gsons came over tomorrow. Here is the new BLI loco, AT&SF 2-10-2 blowing by a signal bridge with some good billowing smoke. Yeah, that smoke does linger, but I like it.
Boy, that takes me back to my childhood and my Lionel layout. That smoke smell lingered for hours. I'd like to smell that again. I'd like to be 12 again.
I stopped in a new store today that sells house hold decor stuff. Not really sure why I went in there because my house is pretty much the man cave that I like. Anyway, I found a spray can that gives the smell of musky cabin wood and gun powder. I bought a can for about $5 and brought it home and sprayed it around the kitchen and TV room. Yeah, smells like hunting cabin upstairs and like a model railroad in the basement.
Installed another turnout this afternoon. It's wired in to a Tortoise machine then linked to the interlocking signal system.
Once again, I don't know what kind of industry I will install here, but I'm sure something will be here.
Seriously though, you have a great layout and it is even better to see your grand kids enjoying it - they are the future of our hobby and you are a great source of inspiration for them.
PS: I promise I wont talk too much, or if I do - I'll slow
The first model train I ever saw was a steamer, I must have been about 7, and that thing amazed me, how those wheels could go around connected together with the rod on each side. I wanted my own train after seeing that. I guess my parents deemed the steamer to fragile and bought me the F-7. lasm
A little more work done today. Installed another turnout for a small industry and did a little work on the tunnel below the cut. Only the track is installed. The machine and wiring will be installed tomorrow. I will probably have to add a DS64 to run this turnout. It will be linked to the interlocking signals though. This turnout is just across the isle from the two turnouts I installed in the last two evenings.
The tunnel portals needed some retainer walls on each side to hold back sifting dirt from the walls of the cut.
I am embarking on an upgrade to the control panels for section 3 of the D&J Railroad. If you go back about 18 months on this thread, you will be in the interlocking signal part of the build. I installed the signal system on section 3 first and went through the learning curve on how to do it. When I started the signal system install on section 2, I used breakout boards for the control circuit boards which made wire connections so much easier. I used the breakout boards for section 1 as well. Now I have a little time to go back and change section 3 over to the breakout boards also.
This first picture shows the rats nest of wires that are very touchy to work through when tracing a signal.
The first step is to pull the edge connectors off the circuit cards then pull all the wires off the plywood were I had them stapled to provide stability and anchoring so they wouldn't damage the cards if they got tugged. I also pulled out the supporting wood frame that was holding the wood panels that the cards were mounted on. This will all be replaced by a single homasote board and the cards will be mounted to that. I will also clean up the booster command station in the shelf on the left along with the wall wart power supplies.