The D&J Railroad -- From Scratch

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Looking good. It sure makes a difference when the hardshell starts. Hope you're getting hydrocal in 100 pound sacks. Waiting for more pictures.
 
Not using the hydrocal. I'm using the wall plaster in a 5 gallon bucket. Already mixed, light weight and inexpensive. About $15 for a 60lb bucket. The next layer to go on will have earth tone coloring in it. That way, it the surface gets chipped, it won't look like patches of snow.
I found that attaching the screen to the foam board is easiest with ring nails. Just push the nail through the screen and into the foam and it holds quite well.
 
Last edited:
With all the scenery you have to do, that will be a bit cheaper. I had one area that had no scenery on it for years and once work got started on it, it moved right along. What a difference. Give a person a lot of inspiration to get things moving along.

I did use hydrocal because of the strength and I had ready access to it. I hope I am finished with the hardshell after 25 years. Not much left in the last sack. I do like our idea of adding color to the top coat.
 


I'm stuck at that phase. Hardshell will commence when I redo our screened porch and thus acquire the old screen for mrr use. Maybe this weekend.

Great to on the ring nails. I'd been wondering the beat easy to manage screen to foam transition.
 
While the wall plaster dries on the bigger mountain system, I started work on this small tunnel/cut. The lower track goes down grade to the staging yard and passes through the closed tunnel. The upper track is the mainline and goes through a cut that used to be a tunnel before the daylighting work began. The foam board is only the support structure for the scenery. Once the glue dries, I can start whittling it down then cover it with screen then the wall plaster. The mountain finger will continue to the wall board in an uphill direction. The wall board will eventually be painted with the continuation of the mountain system and distant desert scene.

Small Tunnel 2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Keep the pictures coming. This section is looking good. Railroads would always prefer a cut to a tunnel as they were a lot cheaper. I had a couple of areas where I had orifinally thought of putting a tunnel, but a cut works just as well for a scenery break. I don't have the room like you do for a long main line run, so the cuts did work well to separate scenes. Post some pictures of your mountains please. I just love to see a layout come to life when scenery is added.
 
Ken,

Looking good as always and I like the idea of using screen over the foam, that should really bond the plaster well and prevent any possibility of cracking. Nice job sir.
 
The entire mountain range is almost to big to get into one picture. It's about 25' from end to end and the highest point is about 7 1/2' off the floor.
I'm building up the surfaces that will be bare rock which is around the tunnel portals. The rest will be dirt and protruding rocks. I need to pick up some slate grey paint for the rock surfaces.
I was laid off from my job with Lockheed Martin in early Oct when our support contract to the Marine Corps expired. I've been job hunting since then and have had to cut back on the budget a bit until the next job hire. I have a few sources of income that get me by ok but would rather have a daytime job. I suppose I could retire now but then, I would get tired of model railroading if I did this 16 hours a day. I'm sure I could cover a lot of ground though.
 
Heck Ken, I had forgotten just HOW big your layout was. That is going to be one heck of a mountain range when completed.
 


Hi Ken, I've been slowly making it through construction threads on the site and I must say you have one huge layout to work on, its looking real good. I'll be following along.
 
I suppose I could retire now but then, I would get tired of model railroading if I did this 16 hours a day. I'm sure I could cover a lot of ground though.

Whatever makes you think that retirement will bless you with 16 hours a day of free time?:(:rolleyes:
 
Whatever makes you think that retirement will bless you with 16 hours a day of free time?:(:rolleyes:


Couldn't agree more. I am retired and have never worked so darn hard in my life. Funny how the "wife" can always find things for you to do to keep you busy ;)
 
I had more free time when I was working full time than now that I am retired! I dont know why but it seems like somebody wants something maybe they think I am bored.
 
Looking like more progress is being made. The tall mountains remind me of a few layouts. One is John Allens G&D, but his came right down to the floor. I got to operate on his railroad in the late 60's when I got temporary instructor duty at Mare Island, CA. When I first saw it, my jaw dropped.

Looks like everything hit you in a short period of time. Hope the railroad help keep you on an even keel. Great pics again, keep them coming.
 


Took a break from the mountain range and installed another turnout for a track side industry. I still don't know what kind of industry I'm going to put there, but as the old saying goes, build it and they will come.
This turnout is tied into the interlocking signal system and is powered by a Tortoise machine. The momentary push button can be seen to the right of the turnout.

New Turnout 2.jpg
 
Last edited:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top