ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Originally published in 1964. I got it for Christmas in 72. It was one of the first books to really plug the airbrush, Paasche's H in particular. A lot of the stuff in it is obsolete now but it's still a pretty interesting read just on the history of the hobby. Lots of pics of brass locos and long-gone products, like Kemtron's brass steam kits and parts.
It even has a chapter on ASTRAC, the very first command control system. Conceptually ahead of its time... took three more decades for technology to catch up and make DCC possible and practical.
Andy
I first discovered this book at my local library when I was about 10 yrs old and spent hours dwelling on the photos and dreaming of a layout like those published in the book including some black andwhite photos of John Allen's G&D.
Years later, I found it in a Walden's Book store for around 14.95 and received it as a Christmas Gift.
Great book for ideas on Scenery, Weathering and scratch building. as stated by previous poster, much of the technology is far outdated but still a great reference material book!
i wish i still had mine!
I have much the same story as HF1-took it home from my local library over the Summer, in 1973 or 74. Read it pretty much cover to cover-not bad for a 5th or 6th grader. I never had my own copy, however. Probably one of the most influential books on my early years in the hobby, along with Bruce Chubb's old Sunset Valley.
I would have like to have seen the trackplans to some of the layouts pictured in that book. In its day, it was a fabulous reference. Still provides a very decent window on the past.
Still provides a very decent window on the past.
Lots of brass steam locomotives! Even though the technology is outdated, the concepts are still current. Worth it's weight in gold for sure.

LOL I have a copy, it was given to me by a neighbour who was into modelrailroading back in the late 1970's. I haven't looked at it in a long time, maybe it deserves a re-visit.
Cheers
Wilis
I would say it does Willis. Every time I flip the book open, there is something relevant to read and apply to the modelrailoading of today. Sound principals and theories for sure.
I got that book in about 1977 from Waldenbooks. Still have it. Loved the pictures when I was a kid. Might have to look through it again some day.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)