The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Well hi all glad to see you all again was scared (brown stain) friday went in for a normal stress test and ened up in er about 4 minutes into test and amitted after taking a ride to another hospital and to get to a cardic unit . Seemsa I have a small blockage in one of the arteries off the main arterie to my heart. But with proper meds and diet there sure we can treat this rascal.

It really had me scared. But as said in other forum with the good lord willing I'm not going anywhere yet I still have a VIRGINIAN RAILROAD to build and Ken thanks but the CFO will just have to deal with it as Shes not going to stop my railroad from growing and she knows that these new medical bills might slow it down quite a bit but thats about all lol.
 
BAH talk about annoyance, I'm working on setting up my hobby shop, and the SSL is acting up! Soon I can claim to own MORE THEN ONE online store. Check it out in my signature, just um, well don't attempt to order because you'll get 404 errors.
 


jbaakko said:
Ahh, much better now, check it out:
jBox Designs

Spent about 2 hours on this baby.

Still can't get that SSL

Josh

Can I recommend something? For your site to get the search engines to really get into and crawl the web site, I would recommend you get some good old fashion hyperlinks going. Drop downs are sort of disliked by spiders. Besides that, your design is very clean. What all are going planning on selling?

Been working on my site, mainly trying to get a grip on the features that I can use. Plan on e-commerce myself, but think I will just do the paypal route for now, the SSL's, merchant account, those out of hand bank fees are not worth it for the amount of business I expect, unless I can get all my railroad buddies to buy stuff ;) well not from here since everyone can make what I plan to sell.
 
Good morning.

I was sent this and thought that some may enjoy the wisdom.

An Old Farmer's Advice:
* Your fences need to be horse-high, pig-tight and bull-strong.4
* Keep skunks and bankers and lawyers at a distance.
* Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
* A bumble bee is considerably faster than a John Deere tractor.
* Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled.
* Meanness don't jes' happen overnight.
* Forgive your enemies. It messes up their heads.
* Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you.
* It don't take a very big person to carry a grudge.
* You cannot unsay a cruel word.
* Every path has a few puddles.
* When you wallow with pigs, expect to get dirty.
* The best sermons are lived, not preached.
* Most of the stuff people worry about ain't never gonna happen anyway.
* Don't judge folks by their relatives.
* Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
* Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.
* Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
* Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.
* Sometimes you get, and sometimes you get got.
* The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin'.
* Always drink upstream from the herd.
* Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.
* Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin' it back in.
* If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.
* Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Happy MRRing.
 
Steve B said:
Fergie
I just posted my first thread, it's a few links to some great video clips, mostly Steam, there is a brief shot of a diesel, being overtaken by a steamer,


Yeh Lisa was real impressed...Not!

Did the first upload and it wouldn't go so I left the computer and sat down with Lisa. A minute later a Chinese Steam engine was erupting in our kitchen:eek: Exactly. Anyway some nice shots there especially the four minute clip of 844. A real crowd pleaser.

RT: As I said in the other CS the drugs and a good diet will clear that nasty critter up. Better to do it now when there was no damage. Sad thing is when people know there is a problem and refuse to act on it. I had tried to convince Dad several occassions this past year to get tests and was flatly told NO! The last time, he was crashing and I said YES !! and dialled 911 So as a result he's staying with us, as to how long is another story.

Well it's sunny so I think I'll go for a ride,

Later all

Fergie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well fergie I acually started a correct diet about a week befor this all happened (I think body went into shock as I was trying to do things right lol) and plan to keep doing it right I want to be around for a little longer anyway at least another 20 years would be nice.
 
rtraincollector said:
Well hi all glad to see you all again was scared (brown stain) friday went in for a normal stress test and ened up in er about 4 minutes into test and amitted after taking a ride to another hospital and to get to a cardic unit . Seemsa I have a small blockage in one of the arteries off the main arterie to my heart. But with proper meds and diet there sure we can treat this rascal.

It really had me scared. But as said in other forum with the good lord willing I'm not going anywhere yet I still have a VIRGINIAN RAILROAD to build and Ken thanks but the CFO will just have to deal with it as Shes not going to stop my railroad from growing and she knows that these new medical bills might slow it down quite a bit but thats about all lol.


Hello RT, I'm VERY happy to hear that you are going to be alright. Hopefully all the thoughts and prayers that come the forum members here, will help in your continued progress. It is a very scary thing and I'm sure it was an eye-opener for you and your wife. Take it easy(sure no one else has told you that;) ) and take care.

Johnny(hope I didn't start an epidemic)
 
Luc - Those Farmers' Advice slogans are priceless! This one is my favorite:
luct said:
...
* Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.
...
...I've got tons of that kind of experience!:D :rolleyes:
 
dthurman said:
Josh

Can I recommend something? For your site to get the search engines to really get into and crawl the web site, I would recommend you get some good old fashion hyperlinks going. Drop downs are sort of disliked by spiders. Besides that, your design is very clean. What all are going planning on selling?

Been working on my site, mainly trying to get a grip on the features that I can use. Plan on e-commerce myself, but think I will just do the paypal route for now, the SSL's, merchant account, those out of hand bank fees are not worth it for the amount of business I expect, unless I can get all my railroad buddies to buy stuff ;) well not from here since everyone can make what I plan to sell.
Actually the drop down boxes are formed with Dhtml, and are search engine freindly :p

As for e-commerce, try these two:
http://www.oscommerce.com
http://www.openssl.org

osCommerce has payment modules, such as paypal, so you can still use paypal as a secure payment server. OpenSSL is an open source SSL cert that allows you to make and issue your own SSL certs. Toss me an email if you have questions, I'm sure I can find anything you need html wise, and alot of self-installing open source php codes.
 


Evening guys,

Spent all morning wiring the laundry room the other half, mind you this house is 150 YO and has fuse boxes, after running 3 new outlets, installing 2 new lights in the ceiling, and a light switch, and before all that I wired from the fuse box out to a junction box, I had found an empty fuse to pull from. Well that glorious moment of finishing everything, putting in lightbulbs and putting the fuse in, I go and flip the light switch, and... nothing... what a let down that one was, I spent another 20 minutes looking over all my wiring, trying new fuses, and then decided I should see if I am getting any current from the spades I wired to. I got nothing, so spent another 30 minutes tapping into a line I ran a few months ago, and now I have created lights and electrcity in the room :D

What a fun Sunday this was...

Josh,

I used to own a large web development/hosting/SEO firm which I sold in June, so I am familiar with openSSL, good prices, we did lots of php and perl programming, actually we had a content management program we created, which was nice but the company that bought me out has a super nice CMS I am messing with, it has a cart built-in, and some features I had planned for my old app. As for OS-Commerce, I would highly advise to stay away from that program, I think it branched a year or so ago, named something else, but we installed in for a client, it was a nightmare from day one, as long as you didn't have more then 100 items, it seemed okay, but load that store with 500 products, add their additional modules (upgrade nightmare) it would crash our server, seems it was a MySQL issue on how the code calls it. There are better e-commerce programs to be had for free, or $$, we pushed PDG Cart, used them for well over 8 years for our clients. Sorry for going on, but OS-Commerce is a sore bone for me.

Well I think I may turn around and operate some trains, I think in that town, they don't have Internet, all homes are prewired, and trains rule ;)
 
dthurman said:
Josh,

I used to own a large web development/hosting/SEO firm which I sold in June, so I am familiar with openSSL, good prices, we did lots of php and perl programming, actually we had a content management program we created, which was nice but the company that bought me out has a super nice CMS I am messing with, it has a cart built-in, and some features I had planned for my old app. As for OS-Commerce, I would highly advise to stay away from that program, I think it branched a year or so ago, named something else, but we installed in for a client, it was a nightmare from day one, as long as you didn't have more then 100 items, it seemed okay, but load that store with 500 products, add their additional modules (upgrade nightmare) it would crash our server, seems it was a MySQL issue on how the code calls it. There are better e-commerce programs to be had for free, or $$, we pushed PDG Cart, used them for well over 8 years for our clients. Sorry for going on, but OS-Commerce is a sore bone for me.
They said the newest build fixed that. My biggest issue is it not accepting the shared SSL cert. The dedicated one for Demotivated.net works fine though I have to fix images... Its not going to be huge anyways, I don't have the time or space for that now, IF it GETS huge I'll pay 1and1 the $19.99 a month for the unlimited shop. I've learnt enough about php now to understand how to install the modules and even templates over the php forum I have too. Its quite simple, now if I could only learn php from ground zero to rebuild one of the sites in PHP.

Which reminds me, people who are shy of 1and1, and suggest I move on, NAH! I LOVE them, I pay $30 every 3 months for more then ANYONE else gets, its perfect really, havn't YET exceded bandwidth, only once crashed the server, during an SSL install.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all found a great link to discount magazines they have model railroader 12 issues for $19.97 , Clasic Toy Trains 9 issues for $19.97 even garden Railway 6 issues for $19.97 not sure if thats a big discount on that one but theres a lot of railroad mags inthis site not sure if I'm really allowed to put here but if not I'll tell you all about it again and I'll get you to email me and I'll email you the web address

http://shoppervalues.com/home.cfm?mvaffid=2349

if I see this removed later

All have a good day I'm doing a lot better

thanks for the concerns
 
Thanks RT, I guess they post overseas? Costs me $50 US at the moment for MR, still alot cheaper than my LHS or bookstore. but $19.95 is the best!!

Happy to hear your ok.

Ken.
 
G'Morning fellas! Happy Monday. Hope everyone is rarin' to take on the week. I haven't seen hide nor hair of Flo or Sabrina lately. Are they both still recovering from the holidays?

I'm studying the ProShow free trial download. It's the presentation software favored by the folks who gave slide shows at last year's GorgeRail get-together. Have any of you worked with it? In a moment of sheer madness, I signed up to do a short show on building a garden railway. I'm glad I still have four months to get ready for my little spiel. :D
 
Hello everyone,
Fergie
when the wife is in watching her favourite TV rubbish i make sure the volume is turned down on the PC or i get moaned at somewhat, i have put a steam whistle (not a real one) on the PC which blows when i turn it on, it is LOUD and scares you half to death:eek: if it's early morning, picture the scene, you switch on the PC (6am), go to the kitchen and all of a sudden the polar express is roaring through the house, this normally gets me some verbal abuse from up stairs, Whooops

Ken Road Slug have you cut the ore bridge down yet or have you made a modification to the layout, i have lost track of progress, no modelling for me as the fingers are swollen up again:(

Claudia Good luck with the presentation
 
Ya'll get the Trains.com newsletter? Read about the naked man in Chicago or the UP engineer!? How about California's suggested ban on "push mode".

Quote:
""There is no doubt in my mind that push operations are a killer and should be made illegal," Frommer said during a news conference near the site of the Jan. 26 crash that left 11 dead and 180 injured."

"Since Metrolink began in 1992, it has had three other major crashes involving push operations, resulting in four deaths and 150 injuries. In contrast, the line has had two major crashes of trains pulled by locomotives, in which 25 people were hurt and no one was killed." -So thats alot for, um, 13 years?

Watch, Metrolink will be the first commuter agency to order "dummy units"...

Best one yet though has to be:
"NEW YORK - Without fanfare or ceremony — and with no way for riders to notice — two New York City Transit subway trains on the L line rolled out of the Rockaway Parkway station in Brooklyn just after midnight yesterday and became the first in the system's 101-year history to be controlled by computers, according to a story in the New York Times. "
 
Steve B said:
Hello everyone,
Fergie
when the wife is in watching her favourite TV rubbish i make sure the volume is turned down on the PC or i get moaned at somewhat, i have put a steam whistle (not a real one) on the PC which blows when i turn it on, it is LOUD and scares you half to death:eek: if it's early morning, picture the scene, you switch on the PC (6am), go to the kitchen and all of a sudden the polar express is roaring through the house, this normally gets me some verbal abuse from up stairs, Whooops

Just tonight I was asked " Does that engine have volume control as I shouldn't have to turn up the TV when I'm one floor up and the basement door is shut":o

What can I say the C&O likes to whistle:D And man can she howl!!:rolleyes:

Well back to the election, Later All

Fergie
 
Good evening gang,

It's been strangely quiet around here today - where is everybody at?:confused:

Steve B said:
Hello everyone,
Ken Road Slug have you cut the ore bridge down yet or have you made a modification to the layout, i have lost track of progress, no modelling for me as the fingers are swollen up again:(
Steve - sorry to hear about the fingers... Anyway, about the ore bridge 'surgery' - that occurred back on New Years Day and was successful, actually improved its appearance if you can believe that! On Sunday afternoon I was in the process of re-installing my other major 'hot-end' structure, the Basic Oxygen Furnace - but that activity came screeching to a halt when I discovered the I had misplaced one of the trolleys for the overhead crane. Spent 3 hours ransacking my garage hunting for the stupid thing, and all of my free time today scratch-building a replacement. [I'll talk more about that in a separate thread.]

Uh-oh, I'm being summoned...better go!
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top