The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Saturday, everyone!

KenL: Good point about NZKen's garage. That is the big issue with my situation. My shops have a total 1640 sq ft. with the lower shop not having any insulation, air gaps around the pull-up door and it's on the West side. The lower shop is a firecracker in the summer time and of course our humidity is always high. My wife's cousin can get me a heat pump at wholesale, but I would still have to install duct work, insulate walls, and lower the ceiling in the low part.

Johnny: Sell my truck?:eek: I would be ran out of Bama!:D :D About a year ago, I did approach the CFO with the idea of a Garden Train in the back and saying it could be used to haul her flowers around and even go to the mailbox...SHE hasn't stopped laughing since!:D :D

Fergie:OK, I have got to confess. I was tempted, but since I am lousy with acronyms decided to let some other ... ask about WAFI. Thanks Ken.:D
Sorry about your luck with the DSX, but try the Tsunami in the same installation. I believe you will have a real thrill. The $70 is well worth the difference in sound.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evening all,
FergieWAFI we have more then our share of them here as well, even worse are the JAFI's
ready for a LONG cold beer after todays digging, got the hole for the foundations dug out without cutting off the water, electric, phone or gas line, i ended up with a 10' x 4'6" x 2' wide hole, praise the lord, the diggings done.......
 
RexHea said:
Happy Saturday, everyone!

Fergie:OK, I have got to confess. I was tempted, but since I am lousy with acronyms decided to let some other ... ask about WAFI. Thanks Ken.:D
Sorry about your luck with the DSX, but try the Tsunami in the same installation. I believe you will have a real thrill. The $70 is well worth the difference in sound.

$70...:eek: OK Where!?! Loy's sells for $80 and I'm look'n to outfit the whole fleet, which will be about another 15 engines.

Fergie
 


RexHea said:
About a year ago, I did approach the CFO with the idea of a Garden Train in the back and saying it could be used to haul her flowers around and even go to the mailbox...SHE hasn't stopped laughing since!
Hey, maybe your suggestion wasn't tempting enough. This worked for me. :D :D

View attachment 2636
 
Hi folks, been a screwed up day here, had to do some wiring of a turnout, seems one of the rails lost connectivity, had to pull the whole layout out from the wall, not an easy task as it's 12' X 11' :( BUT hey it's fixed, even powered one frog so the engines sail right through, figures it was the hardest one to reach on the layout.

Now as for Garden Railroading, I do have plans someday. I was playing the latest MR video today for the GF, she saw what this one guys looked like, plus it was how to build one for pennies, pretty good video and it seems to have sparked her interest. She liked the idea of going to garage sales to build the garden layout. I didn't want to tell her I will need a couple of Aristocraft Engines and the new MTH GE unit ;)
 
Good Evening folks!
Fergie: Oops! Sorry, it is $79.95 at Tony's. Well, heck I am just trying to get you going.:D

Claudia/David: I think a garden railroad would be the greatest fun. Claudia, if I would have had that Coors Photo, I may have had better results. My wife's laughter was at me even thinking about it after spending so much on HO. If I had started out with a Garden setup she would have been all for it. But not now:( .

Steve: Amen! You must have a strong back to have done all that digging and I know you are relieved that your finished. How is the work going on the other part?
 
Good morning fella's,

Looking to be a super nice day here in Central Illinois. Sunning, almost spring-like outside. I think with the good sunshine, maybe I can get some better pictures with natural light instead of those horrid flourecent lights.

Well Flo, get me a medium coffee to go, I think my camera is blinking at me, wanting some attention ;)
 
Hi Dave, and fellow dwellers!
I forgot to mention that I got my MR DVD yesterday. I hope to give it a look later on today. First, I have some plaster work to do:p .

We have a beautiful sunny day in the upper 60's and almost hate to work inside. ..now if I had a Garden Train.:D

Hope ya'll have a good one!
 
Hey all... Flo, anything in that drink maker that can make my arm stop hurting?

So I sold 17 of those spikes to a fellow from Temecula, he drove down today to get them, in a beautiful Porche 959!
 
Evening all, went to a train show today, posted some pics in weekend photo fun.
it was nice to get away from building work and stuff
this is the progress between rainstorms and frost, this will be my new sitting room, hopefully the cement mixer will be gone
124976522.gif

124976546.gif
 


RexHea said:
Happy Saturday, everyone!

KenL: Good point about NZKen's garage. That is the big issue with my situation. My shops have a total 1640 sq ft.

I can't believe I have more space 1755 sqft!! It's not quite a 20 car garage, LOL.

We're lucky over here it doesn't get really humid, just freezing in the winter and uncomfortably hot in the summer sometimes. I will insulate in the ceiling of the train room but leave the walls as is. The layout room itself is 325 sqft, so not to hard to heat/cool. I'm building a 4 x 19ft workshop, staging, helix room into the garage so that will need insulation too. I know 4 ft isn't big enough for a decent helix so I'm going oval shaped:D should work out ok.

Anyway I'm back to work full time and will have to squeeze layout time between lawn mowing, tree trimming and family.

Ken.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, another Monday (Garfield got it right)...!

Good morning y'all,

It's Monday and I'm supposed to be working so I'll make this short...

I finally installed the last of the 'signature' structures of my iron smelting shop (a.k.a. "blast furnace", etc.) on the layout, now I have to finish setting it up in photo-staging mode. This is where I place light-blue MDF boards in the background to hide garage doors, shelves and other ugly distractions that may otherwise clutter pictures of my layout - I'll probably do this once a month, I'm setting things up for quick changeover on a repetitive basis. [The temp backdrops are only part of what I'll be doing for Photo Mode however...]

NZKen, looks like you're experiencing the reality of estate ownership ;) - been there myself (on a smaller scale), took me awhile to get where I'm at today but don't worry, I allowed myself to be distracted by building excessively-sized industrial structures while neglecting the layout itself, you needn't repeat my mistake!:D

Josh - they better get that metal anti-spread off of the tracks ASAP, otherwise the line will short out and traffic on that branch will be totally paralyzed :eek: :p

Adios amigos!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning all.

Flo, coffee please, plenty of cream and sugar.

Just thought I'd stop in to say hello. Ya'll have a great day! :)
 
KenL that sounds like a great idea, blue temporary backdrops. Do they just slot into the edge of the benchwork?

This place won't be to bad once it's tidy, and there's always the winter time for layout building!!

Ken.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
NZRMac said:
KenL that sounds like a great idea, blue temporary backdrops. Do they just slot into the edge of the benchwork?

Actually NZKen, I'm still at the experimental phase of that idea. What I used is the same light-blue MDF that forms the sub-roadbed on my layout, except I stand it vertically rather than horizontally. Some of it, at full 2-inch thickness, I use as view blockers; other stuff (0.5-inch thickness) I poked holes near the top so I could hang it on the wall to cover eyesores.

Here is a link to a Weekend Photo Fun entry in mid-November with pictures so you can see what I did with it.
 
Hi gang! Just a quick note to report in. The past few days have had more unplanned honeydo's than I needed to deal with, but now it should be clear for a few days.

NZKen: Just kidding about the 20 car garage...I know it's only a 10 car:rolleyes: . When you start your layout, don't forget to leave space for your Bentley, Rolls, and Aston Martin. :D Have you thought about using a nolix instead of a helix? CJcrescent has one on his latest layout design and it gives you a view of your trains instead of hiding them like a helix.

Steve: The work is really progressing nicely. Looks like it will be very nice.

KenL: Nice that your getting to the fun part of your layout.

Josh: I missed something. What kind of spikes are you selling?

Eric: You're sure not very talkative today. Downloaded that photo software and plan on experimenting with it. Is Ray into Saturday?
 
RexHea said:
Eric: You're sure not very talkative today. Downloaded that photo software and plan on experimenting with it. Is Ray into Saturday?

Just been busy playing with the camera/computer.

Ray says he's a go for Sat. I went to his house last night and helped him get the proper file sorted out to drive his signals. He's asking me computer questions. Kinda scary, huh? :D He's got some cleanup to do, you know how the "under construction" layout thing goes. ;)
 


RexHea said:
NZKen: Have you thought about using a nolix instead of a helix? CJcrescent has one on his latest layout design and it gives you a view of your trains instead of hiding them like a helix.

I had toyed with the idea but getting 12-16 inchs of seperation between levels is kinda tricky in the space I have ( I'm thinking 48" bottom level and 64" top level) the wee room next door is 4' X 19 and I will have room for an oval helix and decent staging yards.

showphoto.php


I have a plan on Xtrkcad but it needs refineing:eek: surprise, surprise

The staging may come off the helix on the straight bits.

Actually Rex my dream car is a kitset AC Cobra with a 427 and supercharger!!

Eric I thought you were a computer whizz?

Ken.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top