The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Rex the picture was quite good for a cheap web cam, the only thing i noticed was the colour's were a bit black and white but as John said, he thinks it's just down to the camera. the picture looked to be refreshing around 3 per second, approx.
i recon a wye on this plan of mine is out the question

This is my new layout plan, it's an end to end. The yard / industrial area at the bottom will be at the highest elevation with a down grade to the other end, should be good fun switching out, it's about all i can fit into a 17' x 9ft garage, one corner will go through a wall.

130959866.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good Steve, How about a reverse loop top or bottom and some runaround tracks or your loco's may get stuck!

Ken.
 
Steve: as Ken said it is easy for you to have reversing loops at both ends...just tie it back to the mainlines going the other way. A wye could be done the same way using the industrial tracks (spur) that you have in the middle of each loop, but there wouldn't be any real advantage to this. I believe I would complete the loops back to the mainline. Any connection off of any of your tracks would do it.

Here is my extension: Ken you have a good idea with having a small extension built on, but I think I'll look at it for a wye. I would like to locate it at the lower left attached to the 4x8 section. I only want to have the capability to turn a loco with MU or loco with club car around. (More operation headache:D )
 


I'm BAAAACK....

...I've had hardly any time of "my own" this past week - first Vicky hinted that she was about to collapse from a combination of of job, plus planning a dinner party [and scrubbing the entire house from top to bottom]. And since I value my marriage more than my trains, I figured I'd better Play The Game and assist with the preparations! I also wasn't in front of my own 'puter at work due to unusual circumstances, so no online time there either.

I finally had 30 minutes to unwind before ours guests were due, so I enjoyed a brief Skype chat with Fergie. Then I saw NZKen "online" on Skype for the first time since I installed that software [sorry I had to end the call so abruptly Ken but the family arrived 5 minutes after we started talking...]

Hopefully now things will settle back down.
 
Rex, it's your layout!! With a ton more experience than me, so you know best;)

Ken, I hope you had a chance to prepare the layout for a show for the family?

My family always want to see some choos choos running.:)

Ken.
 
I gang, just continuing where I left off earlier...

KeNZ - I agree it would have been fun to run some trains for our guests, unfortunately that whole area looks like a construction zone at the moment - it is also the the default storage area for any large items that Vicky wants to get out of the 'main' house areas when we're expecting visitors.

Steve - I echo what the others have said here about adding loops to your track plan. Also, didn't you have a swinging 'bridge' gate before? Why can't you simply use that again, and have a large loop that goes the whole way around your walls?

Rex - Another extension eh? Looking at that your plan got me imagining how my main line could be improved if I bolted on another 4x8 section. Only problem is, then I would have to leave the garage door open all the time - not a practical idea in this climate!:p :D
 
Hi everyone! Hope the man in the mirror smiled back at you this Monday morning and you are set for a good week. If Flo will get over to my table, I will by a round for all.

I can't believe it, but the weather man has said we are going to have highs in the 70's most of this week. Hmmm! That sure stirs up the fishing virus. I am going to get out this year and pursue both my hobbies: fishing and trains. Don't know if any of you are Crappie (crop-py) fisherman, but down here they should be getting ready to move toward the banks soon, particularly in the lakes. I doubt if I will ever fish like I used to with a rain or shine, go-for-it attitude, but I believe having short breaks from the MR will do me good.

KenL: Yeah, you know how it goes. Where there is space...there will be trains.:D I am not in any hurry with putting scenery down on this new area, but I would like to have it for improving the ops side of things.

I will have another Steel Mill with the name of "BBTK, Inc. marked on a place card ". You ask, "What does that stand for?". BIGGER and BETTER THAN KEN'S, Inc.:D:D

Just kidding! No steel mill, but I will have a customer for steel (maybe a mini mill or something)and yes, everything will be marked with a place card for a long time. Heck, I still have the other part of the layout to work on. AND then there are the signals...oh boy! I have read so much and planned so much that I am ready to hire a flagman to control train movement. Wow, there is a lot of careful planning to do when you install these.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone, thanks for the feedback on the plan, i will be putting some runaround track's in at both ends, what is not clear on the plan is the elevations, i'm planning on a fair old grade from one end to the other, around 12" or so difference in level's.
Ken check out the steel mill area
Here's the new and improved version
131126602.gif
 
Steve B said:
...
Ken check out the steel mill area
Here's the new and improved version
131126602.gif
"BBTK" - ROTFLMAO:p :D

Seriously though Steve - if you really plan to have a steel mill, you'll need to get 'footprints' of each building you want to install, and plan your trackwork around that. If possible, build the structures themselves in advance before permanently attaching the track, to make sure everything fits together the way you want it. [I learned that lesson the hard way...:o ]

I have some footprints of Walthers' 4 main "Works" structures on my home'puter, I can email them to you if you want.
 
Ken L That would give me something to work to, that section i'll leave bare for a while till i get the basic track laid then i can see what work's best where. The yard at the top of the pic is pretty much laid out to what structures i have allready.
I just got a cheap set of ear phones to use on the pewter for Skypeee talk, just got to try them out now
 


Hi Guys, hadn't been here in a while, but still alive, and kicking. Except for Rex's visit a couple weeks ago, I haven't been in shape to do much of anything. Still got a minor infection going and exposed bone in the jaw. Still got a possiblity of more surg on the jaw. Unfortunately, I won't know for another three weeks!

Got Skype installed, and working. Contact name is Cjcrescent, (duh!)

Well, my other half just said supper's ready, so I guess I better go. Yall be good now, ya heah!

CJ
 
Fergmiester said:
Thanks for the link Steve. By the by I have 17 of 20 turnouts now hooked up.


Fergie

That looks great Fergie and a little complicated! I'm going to do something like that too.

Nice talking to you too Carey, was a little echo-y but ok.

Ken.
 
Hi gang! Nothing new to report...just checking in. I am still busy moving things from point A to point B, to point A to ...., trying to get all my junk out of the way so I can get the layout extension built. Build a little...move a lot...build a little move... You got the idea.

NZKEN: Yeah, CJ was feeding me back my voice with about a 1-2 second delay also. Naturally, he blamed it on me:p

Fergie: I was thinking about you today while sitting in the sunshine with 75+ degree temps. Very nice piece of work with the turnout controls (or should I say engineering;) )
 


Hi gang, just letting everybody know I haven't stopped breathing yet! No photo-worthy progress to report on the layout, another reason I haven't been around.

Fergie - you got my attention with your 100%-mechanical turnout control apparatus. I'm glad I'm not the only modeler in the universe who doesn't have a bunch of turtles hiding under his yards! When the day comes for me to finish the work on my own turnouts, I'll be skyping you for some serious brain-pickin' on that subject...

CJ - welcome to the skype fold! Wish I could be on it more often myself, but the CFO and kids are usually on the only machine where I am allowed to install the software...

TTFN
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top