ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Go with grey color on the road. And then you can also use a light watered down wash of black, and make the oily stains from cars in the middle of each lane.
For striping the road, go to the auto parts store, and pick up some very thin, the thinnest they have, auto pin striping. They should have double-yellow pin stripe. Thats what I used on my road. If you can't find the pinstriping in the store, just look online, there are lots of places that sell it.
Then use an exacto knife, and make some cracks and potholes, and use the black wash on that as well.
I want to put a pond where the X is on this photo. The foam is 2 inches thick. And going to make it about 1 inch deep. Would i need to seal it before i pour water? If so would plaster cloth work?
I would deal it off the best you can. I would fill in the banks with some kind of plaster. I used quickset drywall compound, once i had mine smoothed out, i let it dry shortly, then threw some paint on it. You will want to add some black to whatever area you want to seem like it has depth.
You can just paint the banks a earth like color... otherwise if you dont contain whichever water product you choose, it will seap through the foam and it will never build up.
I suggest you stay away from woodland scenics realistic water and instead pick up some invirotex lite at any home improvement store
Well i messed this up. the first black paint seemed to dark so i tried to add a little brown to the mix before i poured the last layer. but it seemed i made it worse.