Switch confusion

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


LordFlashheart

New Member
Hello all!

I am an old HO modeler that made the jump to N scale a couple of years back for various reasons (mostly because I love to see long N scale trains on the move and our family moved across the country into a townhouse).

In HO I was a dyed-in-the-wool Atlas code 83 fan. I loved that track, the way it looks and the way its completely reliable and bulletproof. Nice!

Anyway, I built a "test" layout using Atlas code 80 (mostly sectional) on a door. Other than struggling with the #4 switches that layout works reasonably well.

It's time to get serious once again. Now the family is once more in a permanent home, its time for a "non-mobile" layout.

I am currently working on a track plan for the new layout (7x8 square) and I'm struggling once again with N scale track.

I'd love to go back to my roots so to speak and use Atlas code 55 and be done with it but the Peco track has my attention as it seems it will like my older locos a bit better and stand up to my 9 year old a little better too...

Question: Is there a direct comparison for Peco and Atlas switches? ( as in a #7 Atlas is a ? Peco - that sort of thing).

Also, I love the Atlas #10 switches ( I believe Peco does not have an equivalent switch), will those work and play well with Peco flex?

I have noticed that some of the Pecos are in line with the # system but not all, is that correct or am I being obtuse?

I am not concerned with switch motors by the way, I like to walk around and through my own switches so ground throws will be the order of the day once again.

In short, any information/opinions would be great.

Thanks in advance!

-Martin :confused::confused:
 
I have noticed that some of the Pecos are in line with the # system but not all, is that correct or am I being obtuse?

None of the PECO N scale turnouts match with a traditional numbering system such as Atlas uses (#4, #6, etc.) -- although this is often mistakenly posted on the Internet. (The new PECO Code 83 HO scale products are true numbered turnouts)

PECO N scale turnouts are differentiated by the radius of the diverging curve. All of the PECO Code 55 Turnouts have a #6 frog with varying radii of the diverging leg (12", 18", 36" for "Small", "Medium", and Large")

Note also that PECO "Code 55" rail is actually taller rail with a portion buried in the plastic ties. This makes it robust and also able to handle older equipment with deep flanges, but means that some filing and shimming will be required to mate PECO components with atlas Code 55 flex (for example).
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top