rusty spike
New Member
Been wondering if any modelers super elevate some curves on their layouts.I have done this in the past and plan to on my new layout,only on a few mainline curves......
Light cars can be a problem. All mine are weighted to NMRA recommendations. That makes for a heavier train but it's more stable.Jeffry
Im talking 50+ cars with little weight in them. I have a shimmed 22" radius on a incline and can pull about 30 but with that amount of cars I can see the lighter cars leaning and wanting to jump the rail. Every layout is diffrent and I rarely run more than 20 cars.
Over the years I've tried it many times w/no good results. Maybe I've been doing it wrong. No one has ever explained exactly where you flatten the rail after or before the curve. I've seen it on many club layouts & it really looks good, but have never been able to get close enough to that 1 area to see how it's done. Someone explain the process & I will put it on all my curves that's out in the open.
Over the years I've tried it many times w/no good results. Maybe I've been doing it wrong. No one has ever explained exactly where you flatten the rail after or before the curve. I've seen it on many club layouts & it really looks good, but have never been able to get close enough to that 1 area to see how it's done. Someone explain the process & I will put it on all my curves that's out in the open.
Larry, it should start just prior to the onset of curvature. It would involve very complex geometry to have the super-elevation take place after a curve starts, and that is where most of us run into problems.
I have started a gentle rise of what will be the outer rail just an inch or so before the onset of the curve. Also, it works even better if your curves are properly eased because then you control for the two changes the frame of your engine must contend with...and the suspension (or lack thereof...), too.
If I had to put my finger on the likely trouble for most of us, it is in not knowing how to fiddle, patiently, with different track heights by shimming and prying the rails a hair here and there. I have solved vexing derailments whenever I introduce a new steamer to my rails by considering where the frame is in relation to the derailment, and it almost always points back a few inches from where the derailment first begins to happen in slow motion. Back down the frame is where the problem is, usually a sunken joiner or a low rail.
Believe me, I have had to be patient and persistent on several places, even ripping up 3' of nicely weathered rails and ballast in one case when fiddling wasn't producing the results. I had to reshape the roadbed a bit and then patch the rails. That worked. It taught me what to do on the other side of the layout where a modern diesel was coming out of the rails on a similar curve. I softened the beach sand ballast with water over 15-20 minutes, and the used a dentist's steel pick to gently pry up the outer rail in about 10 different places to raise maybe 12" or rail a whole half-millimeter. I then let the glue dry and harden, thus keeping the tracks oriented as I had just left them, and my next attempt with the SD75M worked much better. Fortunately, that 'fix' didn't also confound another engine that had been successfully negotiating those curves.
I use cardstock and somethings thin wood shims left over from stripwood model making. Others use masking tape cut into strips and overlaid in such a way as to create a very shallow and gradual two-ended ramp that runs about 105% of the length of the arc of tracks.
I hope this has been somewhat helpful to you.
-Crandell
