storing a layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


unkaboose

Member
is it possible to do a layout complete with buildings and landscaping that you can tip on its side to store. i have limited room and would like to tip the layout on its side to keep it out of the way when not useing
 
Sure, if ya have strong enough glue. Be sure to remove all rolling stock or you will find out how strong the glue is.
 
Years (and years) ago I remember an article about building a layout that was built to a frame mounted on the wall. The frame amounted to a box about eight inches or so deep. The layout was hinged on the bottom and was dropped down whenever it was operated. There were chains on each end that were fastened to the box frame and to the layout that supported it in the down position. You could probably leave everything but the trains on the layout if this was N scale if you built the box deep enough to house all the scenery and structures. The original was an HO spaghetti bowl layout without scenery or structures. This was in the very earliest days of N scale, if not before. Now days you could have a nice sized layout with a lot of possibilities for operation in a wall mounted unit. HO on the other hand would be pretty limited because of the reach issues. Another reason for the 15 or 16 inch radius curves of the original.
 


I have often thought of this possibility, even with an around the walls type in sections. Can you give us an idea of the space you have available, might be able to come up with workable solutions.
 
I have often thought of this possibility, even with an around the walls type in sections. Can you give us an idea of the space you have available, might be able to come up with workable solutions.
4ft out from wall and 5 ft long, and its ho. i want to do scenery , river, etc but dont want everything dumping when i tip it. rolling stock would have to be removed of course
 
Can you attach to a wall with hinges, or do you want a free standing layout table on folding legs that can then be leaned against a wall when not in use? As has been mentioned it would be a good idea to have sides high enough to protect scenery and buildings from damage.
 
is it possible to do a layout complete with buildings and landscaping that you can tip on its side to store. i have limited room and would like to tip the layout on its side to keep it out of the way when not useing

you could build a 4x5 box without a bottom - a lid, if you will - that goes over the layout when it is not in use. A few dowels and holes will make sure it snaps together right, and 2 metal fasteners on each long side will hold it in place. (this is what I plan to do)
Combine this with foldable legs and you're good to go.

If you want to go further than that build it in two segments 4x2.5 each.
 
Years (and years) ago I remember an article about building a layout that was built to a frame mounted on the wall. The frame amounted to a box about eight inches or so deep. The layout was hinged on the bottom and was dropped down whenever it was operated. There were chains on each end that were fastened to the box frame and to the layout that supported it in the down position....

Bob,

I remember the article. I can't remember if it was in MR, RMC, or another publication back in the late 1960's early 1970's. There was a yard built inside the bottom shelf of the box, so that the equipment could be rolled onto it to fold the layout up. A small piece of track was removed at the end of the yard to allow the layout to fold up.

To keep the layout in the folded position, the "cabinet" it folded into was wider at the bottom than at the top so the layout was at an angle greater than 90` when folded, sort of like this, \. The wider bottom held the rolling stock. There were IIRC, again, foldup legs, that went into "slots" on the bottom of the layout, which had a thin plywood cover, hiding the wiring and all the sundry things that are under a layout. The legs helped hold the layout level along with the chains.

The owner had a friend paint a railroad themed mural on the plywood. I remember the article because of a photo of this mural, as it looked like someone who was on a LSD trip painted it.
 
Yep, Carey, that's the same article I was thinking of and right along that time line, too. I was thinking it was in Popular Mechanics...........seems more like an article about how to put a small layout in your living room disguised as furniture more than being about building an actual layout. I do remember it being the quintessential spaghetti bowl of track......I think it was an over and under figure eight with very sharp curves.
 
I don't remember the trackplan, other than it seems like it was a BOS, but I thought the cabinet was a good idea. The article had to be in one of the modeling mags, as I didn't have subscriptions to anything else.
 


You're probably right, it was a long time ago, and I've slept a lot since then. I think it would be an excellent set up for a hollow door layout in N scale.
 
wow guys, i never thought about the box idea and it looking like a piece of furniture. what i have is a drop leaf table with fold out legs on each leaf , i was going to sit layout on that and tip it in front of table when leafs are down when i needed it out of the way. this is a large family room and the wife is ok with me doing setup as long as it doesnt overwealm the room when family are here. i want to do detailed landscaping but im coming to realize that every rock, plant , building and anything else would have to be glued to keep it from falling. this is truly going to be a well thought out project start to finish. but due to lack of free space in house its my only option for a railroad layout. my father in law left me his train set up and its really huge with boxes of rolling stock ,track, scenery, buildings, and engines. ive probably got 70 engines he gave me. of course ill never use it all. i do appreciate the input so far, thanks
 
is it possible to do a layout complete with buildings and landscaping that you can tip on its side to store. i have limited room and would like to tip the layout on its side to keep it out of the way when not useing
My children have a set of three modular units. The scenery is not attached to the layout but to sheets of Masonite. The layout units themselves are flat so they can all thee be put into a storage box. The scenery "sheets" have a special cabinet they slide into with groves for the Masonite to hold them into place.

The idea of all this was to make transportation, set up, and tear down easier at shows. BUT it also allows the storage cases to be stacked in a closet, storage unit, garage, or shed when not in use.
 
Don't want to put a dampener on it, but a 4 x 5 layout in HO is going to be very restrictive, not just in a track plan (there are plans for this and similar sizes), but in the way of the amount of scenery it can hold as well. Small radius curves (22" max, 18" and 15" more likely) and only small steam or 4 axle diesel locos pulling 40' cars, is going to be required.

Not a criticism, but just a heads up, so you aren't disappointed with the reality.
 
ya im seeing the tightness of this, i was given a n scale set but my 60 yr old eyes are having trouble working with it, its a passenger set and im partial to freight lines
 
A quick, cheap and easy way to deal with the eyes is a pair of Wally World readers. I've used them up til this last week with great success. I wear bifocals and just wore them in addition to my regular glasses with no problem. Last week I got an illuminated dual lens flip up magnifier from Amazon for about $8.00 after they were mentioned on a post on the Forums. I thought at that price I would take a chance on it. I'm glad I did! It works great and is more powerful than just the Wally World readers. By the way, I just turned 60 last Thursday.

Also, a 4'x5' space would not only be very restrictive for HO but has the potential to present problems reaching all areas of the layout. On the other hand, a 30" by 60" layout in N scale would allow for a decent layout with a fair amount of operations and a decent amount of scenery without looking like a bowl of spaghetti.
 
A quick, cheap and easy way to deal with the eyes is a pair of Wally World readers. I've used them up til this last week with great success. I wear bifocals and just wore them in addition to my regular glasses with no problem. Last week I got an illuminated dual lens flip up magnifier from Amazon for about $8.00 after they were mentioned on a post on the Forums. I thought at that price I would take a chance on it. I'm glad I did! It works great and is more powerful than just the Wally World readers. By the way, I just turned 60 last Thursday.

Also, a 4'x5' space would not only be very restrictive for HO but has the potential to present problems reaching all areas of the layout. On the other hand, a 30" by 60" layout in N scale would allow for a decent layout with a fair amount of operations and a decent amount of scenery without looking like a bowl of spaghetti.
i can do 30x60 that way it wont extend so far out into the room and i wont have to tip it, thanks for the idea. guess ill be going n scale with a magnifier. ive got a passenger setup but i like freight better so ill have to get new rolling stock and engine
 


How about splitting the layout in half and stacking them for storage. Make two 2foot by 5 foot tables. The back half can be a staging yard and the front half can have the scenery and buildings. Simply drive the trains to the staging area. then remove the front half and stack it on top of the back half. no need to remove the trains.
Just another crazy idea.
steve
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top