Step-By-Step Build Series - Walthers Ashland Iron & Steel Rolling Mill

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


So theres soaking pits in this kit? Nice! I see why they center the rollers now with tracks ethier way into the mill. Ingots striping and soaking on one side and finish on the other.

Now I need to find some ingot cars!
 
Thanks guys, more progress to post in a few minutes




I just checked, rails dont fit into the slots. I have some Code 70 Rail, and even when trying to force it end from the end, it is very hard to do so. This being said, they could be modified to accept metal rails by doing a little more kitbashing, but i wont be going that far on this one anyways. If left plastic slots, you will not be able to run a powered locomotive in the mill and you would need to use a spacer car to get a car if needed. The way the base plates are orientated right now however, the slots are only long enough to hold 2 coil cars each, so this shouldnt be a problem with not being able to get a powered locomotive in there.

If you wanted to power the track in the building, you could epoxy thin metal strips down to the base plate, which would function as the visible rail head. Conductive tape might even work.
 


So theres soaking pits in this kit? Nice! I see why they center the rollers now with tracks ethier way into the mill. Ingots striping and soaking on one side and finish on the other.

Now I need to find some ingot cars!

Kellan,

State Tool & Die makes alot of Ingot Cars and Steel Slab Cars as well as Ingot and Steel Slab Loads :D
 
If you wanted to power the track in the building, you could epoxy thin metal strips down to the base plate, which would function as the visible rail head. Conductive tape might even work.

Thanks for the idea Chris, this will have to be something I do when I make the Rolling Mills for my Steel Mill Layout, and even when I make the smaller Mill for my La Mirada Layout :D
 
Will you be keeping these structures for a steel mill layout Josh?

Nope not this one, This one will be put up for sale when im done with it, which Ive finally started working on it again. So I should have some updates for you guys shortly here :D
 
Steps 14-19 - Side & End Walls, Roof Trusses and Girders

Worked on the mill again for a bit today, got all the side and end walls assembled, painted and installed as well as the vertical beam supports and the roof trusses.

Step 14: Cut out Rail-Car Doors on both end walls. I have chosen to cut out all 3 of them on the left end wall and 2 of the 3 on the right end wall. I also cut the 4 front walls in half to expose the inside of the mill.
Step 15: Glue the Roof Trusses and vertical Girders together
Step 16 & 19: Glue front and rear walls together and in place with Roof Truss/Girder Assemblies
Step 17: SKIPPED for now, will be doing this on the next update. Involves assembling the Craneway Girders and installing them on the vertical Girders
Step 18: Glue the End Walls in place

SL370467.jpg


SL370468.jpg


SL370469.jpg


SL370470.jpg


SL370471.jpg
 
Dang, that thing looks big! You are doing a great job so far though. I'm gonna have to do some measuring on my extension room layout. I might be interested in buying it from you if I can fit it.
 


Thank you very much Michael! :D

I have a ton of the Heavy Duty Crane kits, so I figured i might as well use on of them in the Rolling Mill over the 3 Tracks inside the Mill. So that is what im currently working on now, taking a slight right turn with the project and working on the Crane. They are good kits, but they do take some precise cutting to get them to fit right in the craneway beams on the inside of the rolling mill. The first one was trial and error till I got it to fit just right, wrote down some measurements as I went, and from there the 2nd Crane Frame was pretty easy.

if you are interested in getting this Mill from me, let me know before I list it up for sale :D
 
Step 17 - Craneway Beams

Step 17: Install the Craneway Beams

Took some pictures, the Coil Cars inside the Mill are Caboose Hobbies BNSF Coil Cars, they are absoultely beautiful models!

SL370474.jpg


SL370475.jpg


SL370476.jpg



As mentioned, I am well underway of adding a Heavy Duty Crane for the inside of the Mill over the 3 tracks on the left side of the Mill. The crane requires some cutting to fit, but nothing that cant be done with a little time (about an hour) and some measuring, re-measuring, and some more measuring to make sure that the cuts are right.

Walthers Kit: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3150

Crane is being painted the same Safety Yellow as the Handrails and Stairways inside the Mill.

More pictures and progress to come soon :D
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top