Steam Locomotives Suggestion

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


richmondrocky

New Member
I want to buy one good steam locomotive. I have one 4-6-4 Spectrum which keeps derailing and cannot pull any cars. Please suggest the best steam locomotive which can run on 22" curve and it should be DCC controlled.

Thank for the help !
 
Also if the loco is derailing try watching it run slowly to see where it's jumping. You may have a track alignment issue.
 


I have two larger steamers that I've had good luck with and both can be found in DCC versions. The first is a Mehano (IHC) 2-10-2 and the second is a Bachmann 4-8-4 Niagara. Either will work well on 22" radius as both of mine run OK on 18" radius. Both of mine will stay DC as I don't run them much. The 2-10-2 is used to pull a tourist train.
 
I have one 4-6-4 Spectrum which keeps derailing and cannot pull any cars.
Is this the only loco that does this? If so you need to check the gauge of the wheels. I suggest using a NMRA standards gauge to do this. I know there are other gauge checkers available but the NMRA gauge is the best that I've found. Also check the track to make sure the rails are in gauge. Lastly check the track with a long level (I use a 30" level) set on the track to check for tilting of the track. I had an instance where a particular loco kept derailing at the same spot, on a curve naturally. The outside rail dipped just enough that the wheels of a 3 axle truck would lift off the rail and the front truck would derail. It didn't bother the 4 axle units and the looser 6 axle units and this one 6 axle unit, a Proto 2000 PA1, was especially sensitive to it. After I located and corrected the problem the PA1 ran over the entire layout without a problem.
 
I feel the best answers, especially if you don't wish to spend money on the problem, have been given.

As for a replacement engine if this one is really and truly a plug...well, what kind of trains are you going to run....passenger or freight. The 4-6-4's were almost always considered passenger engines across the various roads that used them.

Bachmann makes some nice replacements in their Spectrum line. Check out Micro Mark or modeltrainstuff.com. Those two places have good deals. Also trainworld.com. The Spectrum 2-8-0 is a wonderful little engine...gets rave reviews in all but a few sour cases.

If you have a couple hundred dollars to play with, maybe $250, take a serious look at Broadway Limited Imports' site. They have, in the left vertical bar, "Refurbished Deals". There you can find, if you are patient, repaired or refused engines that are a decent bargain if more than 30% reduced. They come with full warranty.

-Crandell
 
"If you have a couple hundred dollars to play with, maybe $250, take a serious look at Broadway Limited Imports' site. They have, in the left vertical bar, "Refurbished Deals". There you can find, if you are patient, repaired or refused engines that are a decent bargain if more than 30% reduced. They come with full warranty."


I have taken advantage of these deals and its a great buy!
I have been able to get a 2-8-2 for around $150 and a few diesels for $100 all with sound and DCC

I have a Bachman spectrum 2-8-0 that can pull 35 cars on the level. retail is around $230 w/DCC and sound, but can be found for around $150
 
Thank you for all the information !!
I will look for the suggested steam locomotive.
I am new to this hobby and just like to run trains. I have NMRA guage. Will check the tracks tonight.
My budget is 200-300$ for a steam locomotive.
My layout is in 12x15 around the room.
I have derailment problem with passanger and steam locomotives only.
 
Is there a particular place that the derailments occur? Once again try running slowly through the area to see what happens and possibly the cause.
If you post a pic of the area we might be able to see what's going on as well.
Keep an eye on your coupler pins to make sure they're not hanging low as well.
 
My budget is 200-300$ for a steam locomotive.

I would contact trainworld and see if they have any of the Paragon PRR K4's left with QSI decoder. You may still be able to get one of these fine engines which is all metal and heavy...a really good deal. The six drivers puts it in the same ballpark as the Hudson 4-6-4, and in fact the two engines competed for passenger service.

-Crandell
 


I have derailment problem with passanger and steam locomotives only.
If that is the case, it sounds like you have a track issue. Use the NMRA gauge and check the gauge of the rails. Run your fingers across the top of the rails and check for a misaligned rail joiner. If it's a straight track, use a straightedge and check for alignment.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top