Starting to buy rolling stock. Need advice

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


sgttoe

New Member
I have 5 n scale locos and now want to start building up a modern pool of cars.

I plan to use a stick to decouple cars. But want micro trains compatible. What brands use mt couplers or are compatible? What is best way to build up a collection? I found this web sight: http://www.nscalekits.com/ does anyone know about it? Sounds like the cars don't come with trucks. By the time I build them, paint and decal would it be just as much as the others?

I wanted to start out buy getting container cars. Seems like they go for $25 a car even in the articulated sets.

Thanks
 
I can't think of any manufacturer that hasn't switched to knuckle couplers, so all "New" equipment should have them. If you are buying on the internet/Ebay, you will have to pay attention to the couplers. If you find some with the old style Rapido couplers, they are easy to change out with MT trucks with couplers.

Glenn
 
Thanks Glenn. Now I just need to figure out what source and is it better to go ready to run or some sort of kits.
 


There are no easy kits left since MDC was acquired by Hobby Horizons. Intermountain did make some but they were more difficult than the MDC kits. I think MT has stopped making kits as well. Fine N Scale and some other companies makes s
some craftsman type kits.

Glenn
 
On Ebay

I have found a number of sets and individual cars on Ebay. There is sticker shock on allot of cars and sets. I have found NOS (New Old Stock) Atlas Trainman that was decent enough in price and equipped with Micro Train or Kadee couplers. I have some Roundhouse that came with Rapido and Knuckle Style couplers, you install what you want before running. I have some that I will have to purchase coupler kits for (AHM, Bachman, Walthers, Atlas, etc.) to convert. I will buy either coupler kits or new Micro Trains trucks with couplers for the ones I have.
 
You might want to go to "N-Scale supply" then look in the upper right corner and go to preowned. They have so pretty good deals.
I have bought a lot from them and have had great service.
Dean
 
I have 5 n scale locos and now want to start building up a modern pool of cars.

I plan to use a stick to decouple cars. But want micro trains compatible. What brands use mt couplers or are compatible? What is best way to build up a collection? I found this web sight: http://www.nscalekits.com/ does anyone know about it? Sounds like the cars don't come with trucks. By the time I build them, paint and decal would it be just as much as the others?

I wanted to start out buy getting container cars. Seems like they go for $25 a car even in the articulated sets.

Thanks

Your speaking of Peter Harris he bought the molds from Alan Curtis all the kits are white metal and will need to be built,primed and painted plus you will need to add MT's trucks and couplers
They run GREAT !!! nice and heavy and run better with body mounted couplers
L
 
There are no easy kits left since MDC was acquired by Hobby Horizons....

Don't forget Tichy (Dimi Trains) drop bottom gondolas and sugar beet gondolas. They are very simple kits to assemble, and they have a lot of detail (wood grain). Tichy also makes a complete work train (3 cars and crane) that is pretty easy to assemble, except for the crane LOL.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top