Starting Over

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


pcaldwell

New Member
Hi,

I am happy to report that traffic on my Altamont and Blue Ridge web site has been much more brisk since I added the two tutorials: "Marrying the Backdrop to the Layout" and "Shaping the Landscape." I recommend these to beginners and old pros alike. It seems that everyone who builds scenery does it a little differently, and in these short pieces, I detail many of the techniques I have learned and developed over the years. In addition to a wealth of "how to" information, I also present what I think are some insightful ways of thinking about the illusion of depth as it relates to the sweeping, overall, panorama of your model railroad scenery.

Also, you might find my brand new blog, "Starting Over," of interest. I am contemplating a new from-the-ground-up train room and layout (40' x 20') , an enormous undertaking for an N scale layout. My first entries will offer reflections on planning, choice of scale, track and turnouts, DDC control devices etc. There are also in-depth discussions of what I would do differently were I to start over. It is a question every model railroader should continually consider.

Enjoy
Pete Caldwell
altamontandblueridge.com
 
Very impressive. All I can do is say OUTSTANDING ! appl.gif It' shard to believe that it is in N scale with all of the detail that you have managed to put in. I was in N scale back in the 70's and had to abandon it and move onto HO because the locomotives it the time were rather crude, not like what we have today. Tore out a layout with 11 scale miles of main line.

Well done.

Chet
 
Pete , It will be a fun adventure and the layout is outstanding. I am contemplating making some changes to mine and updating to more modern era.
Thanks for sharing. Mike
 
I made a couple minor changes, scenery mostly and slight change to an industrial spur. I got to thinking about starting over? Keep in mind my layout tables are over 25 yrs old. I have made only minor changes here and there over the years. Actually my layout tables have lasted far longer and withstood more changes than I expected.

I started with an overall shape for each table and cut it out of 4x8 peg board. Then I make 1x4 runners and cross pieces, and fasten them to the pegboard. I add legs and top it with construction grade Styrofoam. I paint the top all green (a base color), then lay my track. I know most make the edges even with the top, but I recess mine a couple inches so transformers, controllers, switches etc mount on the 1x4s such they don't stick way out from the layout top/surface edge.

Some day I just might redesign and build new, MAYBE????????????????????
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top