ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I used to get discouraged when I lost interest in what I was modeling, and ripped it up. However, now I accept it as part of the hobby, and the "layout is never finished" attitude that keeps us working on the same layout for years.
I liken starting over to correcting mistakes. Some can abide them, some not at all, some for a while.
I agree that starting over when one is unhappy with an earlier outcome is a sensible thing to do if one has the time, energy, and money/supplies at hand.
I liken starting over to correcting mistakes. Some can abide them, some not at all, some for a while.
I agree that starting over when one is unhappy with an earlier outcome is a sensible thing to do if one has the time, energy, and money/supplies at hand.
I pretty well fit into your profile: When I was in my late 40's, I built a layout that had all the givens-n-druthers I wanted, but had way too many duckunders. For the first couple of years I "abided" them and was willing to endure the occasional banged head. But when I started hosting op sessions, a fellow in his early sixties convinced me that as my body got older and stiffer, I was "...gonna hate those duckunders til the End of Time!" if I didn't rebuild soon, while I was still physically fit enough to do it.
So with much fear and trepidation I proceeded to dismantle my former beloved-but-flawed layout and clear out some of the space-consuming junk that was stacked along the walls of my garage trainroom. It took me a few years longer than I had planned, and I was sometimes barely able to afford the purchases of additional track and materials. But I doggedly plowed on with it, and finally completed the benchwork and trackwork of a new duck-free, around-the-walls layout. All that remains now is to put in the scenery.
Looking back now, I'm glad I took the risk and went thru with the rebuild. I not only got a longer main line run but, more importantly, created several new operating scenarioes that some of my less-agile guests were previously unable to enjoy.
Like Ken (CSX road slug) I was happy with my old layout...to an extent. I knew it had shortcomings like no climate-control and it wasn't varmint-proof. I did however eliminate duck-unders about the time I reached 50. I recently started completely over by building a dedicated 20 x 32 building with heat and air and no possible entryways for rodents, possums and other varmints, (I live in the country). I've never been happier. I recognize the fact that it will take 5+ years to get back to the state of my previous layout, but I'm also able to take advantage of newer techniques and materials, albeit at a greater cost.
Willie
Yeah, I learn the hard way. I had duck unders for most early layouts and kept my chiropracter in business.
No duck unders is one of the few new rules of layout building that I stick with. As for scenery changing, I have been able to reclaim so much poly fiber and foam, that it keeps my costs low for rebuilding. Also made some good money on Ebay this week.
About 30 years ago I had a pretty large N Scale layout that had almost 16 scale miles of mainline track. I was unhappy with the locomotives that were available back then, both in running qualities and in availability of the equipment I wanted. I ripped it all out and started over again in HO scale. I had my layout planned and had started laying track when the land baron (my wife) let me rip down a wall so I would have more room.
Having the availability of the additional space, I did a great deal of planning before I started my present layout. All of the planning did pay off. The railroad is not complete, and probably will never be "finished", but with the planning and with what I had learned over the years, such as custom painting and the use of an air brush, scratchbuild and many others, I am quite happy with what I now have. I would have rather had a longer mainline run, but I personally don't care to have a train go through a scene multiple times. I built my layout as a point to point with engine facilities and a yard at each end, but do have the capability of continuous running with the help of a few hidded staging sidings. I really enjoy switching and with the main line only going through one time, it leaves me more room for industries to switch and more room for scenery. There are times when a hammer is a good thing.
Well I've been starting over about a year now. With being a care giverand chores there doesn't seem to be much time for the layout. The bench work is up but no track or sub roadbed. Hope to have a go at it during the winter months, if I don't have to displace too much Snow
Cheers
Willis
I used to get discouraged when I lost interest in what I was modeling, and ripped it up. However, now I accept it as part of the hobby, and the "layout is never finished" attitude that keeps us working on the same layout for years.
In the last month I built some new benchwork that is near ready to lay track. I've already seen how I could revise and make the whole thing more of an around the room design. No worries though. It's going to be fine to run trains on this winter. Then in the spring when I can cut lumber outside again, I have an idea now how to make lightweight modules for N scale that can be used to create an optimum layout in any size room.
We had a HUUUGGGE knock 'em down, drag 'em out argument over the subject of whether or not the hobby offers anything in the way of an art form on the MR forum seven years ago. Lots of good debate, although the passion got away on a few people and the thread got locked due to personal slagging. Too bad.
I'll have to agree as well. The "old layout" wasn't very well thought out as to operations and was a hodge podge of locales and guages. When we retired and moved, I didn't see a realistic way that a layout would be built. Not until the wife and son asked me where the layout was going to go. I did some searching on the interweb to see what was possible in a "small" space. I found some layouts that just blew me away and thought I could do that! Then it was the typical who, what where, and when questions. A little more surfing and found, for me, the perfect prototype branch line and a forum group who shares just about everything available. So, armed with actual track plans for every town, photos on just about everything that existed, I found my dream. The old Highline that ran from KC to Springfield, MO in 1964. Granted, I'll be picking an choosing which towns to include, but it is doable. Now it is just a matter of getting daddys playroom built.
A little over a year ago my son and I decided to build an HO layout. I had trains as a youngster, but was completely out of the hobby for 40 years. We started by building a 4x8 table. I spent much time with a computer program designing various layouts, and finally decided on one with two main lines, and several spurs. My son wants freight trains, and I want passenger. Well..... after laying the roadbed and most of the track, and reading this forum an other sources over the last year, I realized I really need more room (i.e. larger radius) for a passenger train. Finally decided about a week ago to enlarge the table. So I added a 7" width on each end, and 12" on back. Interesting dynamics here. We went from essentially 32 square feet of space, to a little over 45 square feet. I am much happier with the track layout now. Previously I had just a general idea of the buildings and street I wanted. I have realized it is best to go on and pick out several buildings that I will likely want to have, and prepare a mock up, and lay out streets and other key elements. Live an learn. But it has all been fun.
I rebuilt one part of my layout twice. Now it functions like I want, well 99% of the time. Most of the action on my layout is on the section with the yard. Sometimes the old is holding up progress.
We had a HUUUGGGE knock 'em down, drag 'em out argument over the subject of whether or not the hobby offers anything in the way of an art form on the MR forum seven years ago. Lots of good debate, although the passion got away on a few people and the thread got locked due to personal slagging. Too bad.