ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Ive started the planning process for starting my new layout. Ill have questions throughout, so I was thinking I would ask them on this thread as they will pop up from time to time.
First, does anyone have any problems operating Double Stack Intermodal equipment on/thru this bridge? I am particularly concerned about the 2 7/8" clearance of the bridge itself. http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3012
Second, an electrical question. I am planning on using 14 guage solid wire as my track bus. How do you guys splice into it? Strip the insolation and solder feeders onto it? If so, how the heck do you do that without almost accidentally cutting the wire itself? Do you guys used stranded wire for your track bus? If so, it seems hard to find a 14-16 awg in that.
Third, do any of you use Suitcase connectors? I think their made by 3M. Does anyone know where you can buy these in bulk?
Suitcase connectors are definitely the easiest way to go these days. However, be aware that they come in a couple of different wire application sizes, so be sure to match the choice of connector with the sizes of wire you are using on the layout.
Any advantage of one over the other? Voltage/current drop? It seems cost is about a wash between the suitcase connectors and the stripping tool.
I used splice connectors without soldering on my current layout with no issues but would like to go the bus wire/drop feeder route due to the new layout's planned size.
I have a lot of left over connectors I would be willing to sell if you are interested. I can check what I paid and what they are rated if you are interested. Let me know and we can go from there. I ended up getting more then I ever would need.
I have a lot of left over connectors I would be willing to sell if you are interested. I can check what I paid and what they are rated if you are interested. Let me know and we can go from there. I ended up getting more then I ever would need.
Id be interested. It might be late winter/early spring before im ready to move on it though. Also are they the 3m 905s? i need something thatll take 14-22 gauge wire.
I will check to see the gauge but I do recall them being something like 14-22. I had them for the same reason you did so can't be much different. I do think they are 3M but not sure since they were purchased from a modeler on-line and not store. I'll check and get back to you.
Dave
Im planning on using Tortoise switch machines and using DPDT toggles to contol them. Anyone know of a good source for those? I know Miniatronics makes them as well as Radio Shack. Anyone have a good source and at a good price? I think ill need about 6 to 8.