Starter DCC For 4 yr Old Grandson...and me?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


waredbear

Member
I know he isn't old enough to understand the workings of the system yet but I want one he can grow into. Currently he likes to turn the train on and watch it run round and round. He then turns the lights out and watch their lights go round and round. I wanted to go with the Zephyr but then I would have to buy decoders. This is a plus for me right now. I'm also using the E-Z track and need more track to be able to create more than a circle...another plus. I'm trying to buy some more E-Z track off of Evil Bay so I can have more turnouts.

I know the engines won't be "realistic" and neither will the rolling stock but I'm okay with that for his train sets. It appears to be a BIG "win-win" for me. What do you think? Anybody have this set and can give a hands-on report?

Thanks

Sorry:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130364375353&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have the bachman EZ command that comes with that set and love it, cheap, simple to operate, just takes a bit to learn it. Make sure you watch the DVD that comes with and it helps if you have it set up right in front of you while you watch it. My only complaint is that i dont have a layout up right now to use it, so its sitting in the box :rolleyes:
 


... I wanted to go with the Zephyr but then I would have to buy decoders....

Reid;

Why would you need to buy decoders? Any DCC equipped loco can be run by the Zephyr. It can even run a non-DCC equipped loco on address 00. It won't run well but it will run.
 
Reid;

Why would you need to buy decoders? Any DCC equipped loco can be run by the Zephyr. It can even run a non-DCC equipped loco on address 00. It won't run well but it will run.

Because I have five older loco's right now that are DC. I would have to get one or two decoders if I bought the Zephyr just to run a train. I will be able to run two loco's right out of the box if I buy this set. Plus I already have an oval track in E-Z. This set will give me an expansion plus a siding. I also think this will be a nifty set to teach both of my grandson's how to use DCC. They will have their own trains (cheaper loco and rolling stock) to learn with. I will get the Zephyr later when the funds are available.
 
Sounds good. I was just wondering why you would go with this set instead of the Zephyr straight out. You answered the question.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top